Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently got a Hobie TI, and I need to figure out transport options. My parents have a compass and a ... another one, and I've driven their car with a double-decker hobie trailer attached. Not fun, but gets the job done. Been wondering if anyone here has any experience with transporting these on the roof of something smaller like a Prius?

There's some recent posts, like this: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=60298 that suggest that I shouldn't, as they can damage cars. There's some older posts, like this, https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=62550, where the answers are less clear. I even found one from '07 where someone roof racked a TI on their 07 prius. I'm not willing to blindly trust that as designs, strengths, etc, in both car and kayak may have changed a lot in 15 years.

Anyone tried this recently or have advice? Reason I really want the roof rack is ... parking. Parking is a pain with a trailer, and I'm also in the Seattle area. Yeah, there's some boat parking, but there's a lot more car parking.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Agree parking with a trailer can be a pain in the…., but putting a TI on the roof of your car is!
It is also possible that the weight of your TI is to much for the roof of your car
Iff you got your ti on a trailer it will be so much easier to take it out to the water,
Put it behind your car and you can go! Iff you have to start by putting the TI on the
Roof off your car you won’t take it out so many times

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trailer.

Did. Car top my AI a few times, but quickly moved to a trailer. TI .... recommend a trailer.

Best way short of a seasonal dock.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Freshwater or saltwater? If salt, get a trailer. Here's a prior post of mine on the topic.
Quote:
I used to haul two Outfitters on the roof of a fairly new Red Dodge Dakota truck with a couple saltwater vacations each year. In three years the paint on the hood, fenders, doors, A-pillars, and forward roof was completely ruined. Badly faded, uneven milky color, rough surface. (My wife decided to give it a wash at a high school fundraiser and all their rags and towels turned red! :oops: ) Though those parts didn't rust (like the bumper and other bits), the saltwater ate through the clearcoat and completely destroyed the paint. That's why we got a trailer...

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Saw an old AI on the roof of a prius, he did short runs to the local lake only. Personally I would advise against it. Doubt any roof rack will handle the load without deforming the roof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only good way to transport a TI is with a trailer. Far too heavy to transport on a rooftop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Damn that sounds pretty unanimous. In that case, any advice on what sort of trailer? I can see Hobie has one, but gee whiz it's not cheap. There anything that doesn't break the bank as much?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dmck wrote:
Damn that sounds pretty unanimous. In that case, any advice on what sort of trailer? I can see Hobie has one, but gee whiz it's not cheap. There anything that doesn't break the bank as much?

A small boat trailer will do because it only needs to handle around 400 lbs or so max and usually even the smallest can handle around 800 lbs. You simply buy a small boat trailer that can handle the length of the TI (18.5') and then use PVC pipe to build an inexpensive rack for the TI. There are several examples of that in this forum.

Find a local boat dealer that sells trailers (most do) and then show him the specs and a photo of the TI. He'll match you up with a proper trailer. I recommend a galvanized or aluminum one to resist corrision.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If the trailer is real short just buy a ladder and bolt it on. Then some PVC pipe onto the ladder. Presto, hobie trailer.