Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I considering a TI but not sure I can store it properly. I have 2 Hobies in my garage now and there is just not room for another (small 2 car garage). My driveway extends to the side of the garage and I have considering extending the garage via a lean to and wondering if anyone does the same? How do you store your TI? Can you store it on a trailer without damage?

Thanks...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A TI can be stored on a trailer as long as it has a decent bed that doesn't cause any hull deformations. Just cover it with a tarp to keep the UV off and you should be fine.

I keep my TI on its trailer for the entire boating season. Off-season, I store it suspended from a carport ceiling. I've been doing this since 2015 with no issues and it still looks and works great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I store TI on the trailer and in my garage. Works great considering all the tinkering with this kayak.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys for the replies. One more ?: How are your trailers setup as far as bunks go. Do you use those hobie cradles?

Thanks..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fletchb wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies. One more ?: How are your trailers setup as far as bunks go. Do you use those hobie cradles?

Thanks..

I started off with the Hobie cradles but they soon cracked.

So then I went with PVC pipes, but they cracked too, although they lasted years longer than the cradles. Plastic is not a great material for trailering. Too much vibration from the road. Plastic can only take so much flexing before it cracks. Something better is needed.

Just before the next boating season, I'm going to revamp my trailer bed with something more durable than plastic. I'm looking into wood or metal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I made wooden cradles for my TI garage hoist, which is how it is stored during the winter months.
I just replicated the shape (as closely as I could) of the Hobie cradles on my trailer.
If I were to use my wooden cradles for the trailer, I would just cover them in a carpet or something, to make sliding on & off easier.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an Oasis on my trailer, not a TI. But I made bunks 5 years ago using two gray 2" x 10' schedule 80 conduit PVC and they still look brand new. Unlike regular PVC, they are thicker and have UV protection. On the Oasis this PVC size does not contact the reinforcing scupper inserts. My kayak is on the trailer year-round. Note PVC is measured by inside diameter and these are actually 2 3/8" outside diameter.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

plfinch wrote:
I have an Oasis on my trailer, not a TI. But I made bunks 5 years ago using two gray 2" x 10' schedule 80 conduit PVC and they still look brand new. Unlike regular PVC, they are thicker and have UV protection. On the Oasis this PVC size does not contact the reinforcing scupper inserts. My kayak is on the trailer year-round. Note PVC is measured by inside diameter and these are actually 2 3/8" outside diameter.

Peter

Thanks - will give this method a try when the time comes.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pro10is wrote:
fletchb wrote:

Thanks..

I started off with the Hobie cradles but they soon cracked.

So then I went with PVC pipes, but they cracked too, although they lasted years longer than the cradles. Plastic is not a great material for trailering. Too much vibration from the road. Plastic can only take so much flexing before it cracks. Something better is needed.

Just before the next boating season, I'm going to revamp my trailer bed with something more durable than plastic. I'm looking into wood or metal.

I wonder if you could make that stronger by filling in the back with a wood/epoxy mixture?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had the same issues with the Hobie cradles. Just too fragile for frequent routine use.

I moved to a simpler set up. Strong and durable for frequent use

See this post for photos and a bit more information.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 10#p334390

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fletchb wrote:

I wonder if you could make that stronger by filling in the back with a wood/epoxy mixture?

You would need to ensure that all flexing is eliminated, otherwise, the cradles will eventually crack.

The cradles are fine for storage, they're just not good where any flexing occurs such as with trailering.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have it in the ceiling of my garage.