Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good question! I would like to know as well, maybe as I'm unloading it from the car and it's at an angle on the side bar I could put them on and then lower the rest of the yak off the car so it rests on the wheels. Maybe some sort of strap to keep them on the hull until it gets on the ground, then just take them out while in the water or near water. It all seems like a pain when by yourself.

Maybe improvise some sort of wheel stand so the scupper plugs stick straight up and you just position the AI over the scupper plugs and slowly lower it down. Then just remove the stand. I kind of like that idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JollyGreen wrote:
Good question! I would like to know as well, maybe as I'm unloading it from the car and it's at an angle on the side bar I could put them on and then lower the rest of the yak off the car so it rests on the wheels. Maybe some sort of strap to keep them on the hull until it gets on the ground, then just take them out while in the water or near water. It all seems like a pain when by yourself.

Maybe improvise some sort of wheel stand so the scupper plugs stick straight up and you just position the AI over the scupper plugs and slowly lower it down. Then just remove the stand. I kind of like that idea...

Yes, it's easy to insert the rods into the scuppers while the boat is up on the side bar then just lift the stern of the boat down with one hand holding the trolley. That's assuming you have lowered the bow first and the boat is upright.

If the boat is already on the ground, just roll it onto its side, insert the trolley and roll it back up onto the wheels, while holding the trolley in place. The trolley seems to be strong enough to handle it.

Addendum: I am using the Hobie cart with standard wheels. I don't know if this works using the beach wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jolly, I whave a wheel eze cart which is very similar to yours. I have a heavy shock cord with the standard lack hooks which I hook onto the center frame of the cart. (the crossbar of the colapsablle legs). I alway place the cart a few inches in front of the rod holders to keep the shock cord from slipping aft. If going a long distance or over rough terrain I use a second shock cord. This works for me on every surface except sand since I have standard tires and the baloon tires will not fit on the axles of the the standard cart :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't have a cart yet but was/am planning to build one of conduit and galvanized rod and some Pneumatic tires from harbor Freight and add the tennis balls.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trax can be inserted just by tilting the AI on the ground B4 attaching everything else.

At the beach I pull the cart out from under the hull once I'm in 2' of water and replace it in the shallows when I return.
I have two Hobie carts, hard wheel and balloon wheel, the balloon wheel has rolled off the axle twice while hauling the fully-assembled AI back up the beach, I believe this because the weight of the loaded AI overcomes the Spring Clip in the hub which makes the wheel very easy to remove but doesnt like side-loads or the retaining clip pops out of the axle channel.
A heavy AI with the wheel fallen off and the axle hole full of sand is a problem, i have taken to using the concrete boat ramp down the beach, this also stops sand getting over everything.

I was about to order the wide Wheelez scupper cart with the large sand tires but just read that the tires rub on the AI Floats so that's no good.
Also i dont know if the two halves of the dismantled cart frame will fit into my front hatch?
It would surely snare my main sheet if I plugged such a large cart & wheels in the rear area a la Trax?