Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cart Clamps
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you actually sailed on the open ocean? I havent tried it yet. The inlets are very rough here on the south shore(Atlantic)too. I have used a technique that works well. I hate having the waves come up behind me returning into the harbour from the LI Sound... so I come in backwards-keeping the A.I perpindicular and letting the waves push me in. :idea:

A while back I heard Australian waters/beaches have a bad problem with deadly small jellyfish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aledal wrote:
Have you actually sailed on the open ocean? I havent tried it yet. The inlets are very rough here on the south shore(Atlantic)too. I have used a technique that works well. I hate having the waves come up behind me returning into the harbour from the LI Sound... so I come in backwards-keeping the A.I perpindicular and letting the waves push me in. :idea:

A while back I heard Australian waters/beaches have a bad problem with deadly small jellyfish.

No Aledal I have restricted all AI ailing to those waters I mentioned above though the Gippsland Lakes can get rough enough thank you as it is relatively shallow being only about 30 feet deep so wind throws up short steep waves. Makes for great fun down-wind sailing skipping down the waves.
The Irukandji jellyfish you refer to are restricted to northern Australia and not found along most of Australia's coastline including this southern area. This forum can be very informative can't it......Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aledal and Pirate,
In the spirit of an informative forum! :wink:
Though mostly confined to the tropical waters of Northern Australia there have been reports of stings from this tiny jellyfish from Southern waters. In fact I know of someone who was stung off Umina Beach -which is where we launched with Mickey when he visited! The sting on her leg was severe and took weeks to heal. The treating Dr attributed it to the Irukandji. Wiki reports stings have been recorded from Hawaii and even Florida so it's not just an Aussie problem.
The risk of a sting though is extremely low.
Our common stings here are caused by Bluebottles. I was actually stung once in the AI when sailing off Terrigal on a gusty day. After cutting through a swell I felt a sting around my ankle and noticed a Bluebottle wrapped around the pedal. One of its tentacles was on my ankle! :(

PS - Aledal, I have seen Master and Commander and while I enjoyed it I didn't think it was as good as the Horatio Hornblower TV series. I have yet to see 'Wind' (I will hunt it up) but I did watch live the great race series and can still clearly remember the final thriller where we Aussies took the America's Cup!
A great achievement! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Living in Central Queensland and sailing off the coast of Wild Cattle Island, it's more the Sharks that you tend to keep an eye out for rather than the jellies. It's worth the risk to be sailing the AI surrounded by hundreds of large turtles and pods of dolphins.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yikes!! :shock: I dont know what shocks me more stringy-that tentacle bastard stinging your foot or your not liking "Master and Commander" :) .Never heard of the Horatio Hornblower series. The plot/storyline of "Wind" was so-so-but the sailing footage was great. :D

Thanks for those heart -warming stories mates. I think I`ll go buy/make some serious kevlar tramps now! :shock: