Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking forward to eventual delivery of a TI. But I need a trailer - ain't prepared to stuff around getting that thing on the roof.

Being in Aus, I'll have to get a trailer custom made to satisfy local rules and regs.

Matt - if you're around - can you please advise:

Are Hobie TI trailer support cradles available now, or can we get templates, or [hulls + amas folded] cross-sections? Need this so I can transport the TI!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Admin

We have a mold for the cradles ready and have made a few. We are currently waiting for more material 3-4 weeks out still. These are hand shaped, so there is no drawing or cross section available.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
I'm looking forward to eventual delivery of a TI. But I need a trailer - ain't prepared to stuff around getting that thing on the roof.

Being in Aus, I'll have to get a trailer custom made to satisfy local rules and regs.

Matt - if you're around - can you please advise:

Are Hobie TI trailer support cradles available now, or can we get templates, or [hulls + amas folded] cross-sections? Need this so I can transport the TI!

Max - take a look at these trailers.
http://www.easytrailer.com.au/
I have the 8 x 4 with many add-on features. I can do all sorts of things with it but since I got my AI, I have been using it to trailer it and leave it on the trailer on the Hobie AI cradles. I have had the drawbar extended to facilitate this. The good thing is I can very easily slip this extension back into its original length.
I bought the trailer unassembled. It came flat packed and will fit in most cars with the back seat laid down.
The biggest part - if you decide you want it, is the two sections of marine play flooring ( a better option than steel floor)
Took me a couple of days leisurely assembling it, using the manual that comes with it. I think you could probably build it in about 4 hrs if you are organised etc.
I will be modifying this trailer yet again to accommodate the extra length of the TI shortly.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mickey, thanks, I had looked at those, but wasn't sure how well an un-galvanised trailer would survive being used as a boat trailer. How is your's, rust-wise? Did you have to put a rear extension on the trailer, and move the lights to the rear of the extension?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
We have a mold for the cradles ready and have made a few. We are currently waiting for more material 3-4 weeks out still. These are hand shaped, so there is no drawing or cross section available.

Could you please advise if there are still two cradles, and where they need to be positioned, eg as a distance from the bow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Hi Mickey, thanks, I had looked at those, but wasn't sure how well an un-galvanised trailer would survive being used as a boat trailer. How is your's, rust-wise? Did you have to put a rear extension on the trailer, and move the lights to the rear of the extension?

Max - my trailer is fine but I never put it in the water further than getting the lower part of the rubber tyres wet. I have only used my AI in salt water. I did not put an extension on the rear - just extended the drawbar. I am now going to extend it another metre or thereabouts to accommodate the TI. There is some overhang on the rear of the trailer but it's not very much and doesn't obscure the number plate or lights in any way. I used to tie a red rag on the end of the mast but haven't done so for a long time now :roll: :shock:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, if you're about... my dealer has been trying to get info from the Australian Hobie distributor as to the spacing of the TI cradles: ie, distance from bow to forward cradle, and distance to rear cradle.

However, we're not getting anywhere. Would you please advise, as I'm 'first cab off the rank' when stocks arrive, and I still need to organise a trailer. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep... Matt, awaiting the same information. Where should the hull sit on the cradles?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:

captain-max,
With a similar corrosion concern I went with the galvanised boat 880GA Easytrailer. After discussing my plans with the salesman from Easytrailer he suggested a rear extension instead of a longer drawbar. This would make for a more balanced load. Tinnie trailers are balanced for the heavy Outboard motor. This trailer cost me less than $1000 for the trailer and DIY rack and extension (minus the Rhino bars and cradles). The extension was made by ripping a 100x50mm RHS tube diagonally, giving me two tapered extensions. Works well on my very steep driveway.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice job on the trailer there mate!

I think the TI is about 4' longer, so you'd have to lengthen the drawbar as well as add the rear extension. I'm waiting for a couple of quotes for a custom trailer, but I won't be surprised if I have to reconsider the 880GA.

Cheers, Max

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm... just received one quote (from Brogun Industries, Newcastle):

16' Light weight hot dipped galvanised trailer to suit your kayak
RHS chassis
Fixed Frame (not sliding as we do not have that steel profile in Australia.)
Fixed LED waterproof lights
New 10" wheels
New 10" spare wheel
1 x 12" keel roller at rear.
$2,228 incl gst
(does NOT include the luggage rack)

I'll wait for the second quote from a local trailer manufacturer in Port Macquarie, but I'm not optimistic. In case you're interested, this is what I asked for:

Last edited by captain-max on Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt ???

captain-max wrote:
Matt, if you're about... my dealer has been trying to get info from the Australian Hobie distributor as to the spacing of the TI cradles: ie, distance from bow to forward cradle, and distance to rear cradle. However, we're not getting anywhere. Would you please advise, as I'm 'first cab off the rank' when stocks arrive, and I still need to organise a trailer. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I believe Matt already provided this information. If you look at the top right of this page you will see a "search" feature where you can find all kinds of good information by typing in key words like "cradle spacing". Here's one of the results:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=23307

You will also notice another recent comment by Matt that it is best to position the TI cradles under the drivewell and/or scuppers for maximum hull support. Using these 2 gouges, you can probably come up with the best locations on your trailer. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks RR!

I'd seen Matt's post re spacing of the templates:
"These have the same spacing as the AI... 67", but the cradle location is a bit more flexible. You could run the cradle a bit further forward if possible."

What I hadn't found re distance from bow was:
"The TI cradle position can vary over a wide area as the cradles are more universal fit... the hull and amas are virtually the same shape over a long area. Under scuppers or drive well is best."

I'll work it from that... now to see if I can figure out a trailer that doesn't cost thousands. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Nice job on the trailer there mate!

I think the TI is about 4' longer, so you'd have to lengthen the drawbar as well as add the rear extension. I'm waiting for a couple of quotes for a custom trailer, but I won't be surprised if I have to reconsider the 880GA.

Cheers, Max

Thanks Max.
The AI is 16'. The TI is 18'6" so it's only a 2'6" difference. When I modified that trailer I had the TI in mind. I am planning on carrying it as is. The overhang shouldn't be an issue.
I like your design for the trailer. I am on version 4 of my AI trailers. A couple of ideas I have found useful:
1- leave a space large enough to be able to fit through between the bow and the towing hitch. Makes getting around the trailer a lot easier.
2- Standard full width blue poly trailer slider strips (seen at the rear in the pic above) work better than a roller. A roller can distort the hull with the weight concentrated over such a small area.
3-a fixed drop down jockey wheel saves a lot of time.
I got quotes to copy the 880GA Easytrailer from two of our local trailer manufacturers. Both quoted $1500 -nearly double the cost (and both had inferior wheels). :shock: The 12" wheels on the 880 are 110km/h rated.
It wouldn't be too difficult or expensive to extend the 880 to fit the TI IMHO! :wink: