Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Racking Two AIs
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, my dad and I have bought an AI each. Getting then on top of a car took some time, thinking, and most of all... trial and error.

First we bought a pair of Thule Port-a-hull (http://www.thule.com/en/AU/Products/Watersports/WatersportCarriers/Thule%20Hull-a-Port%20835-1.aspx) and mounted them on the car rack. Then we mounted one of the AIs in it, and the other upside down just beside, fastening it tightly. So far so good, but what about the amas? We really wanted to top them as well. We made a package of them and put them on top on the AI which was placed up side down.

Making a stable package that was easy to lift up and down as one piece was difficult, but below is a cross section image of how we did it. The black and red line represents the ropes to tie the amas:

Finally we put the masts on each side of it all.

I hope that this post will save you some time if you ever try to do the same.

Post subject: Re: Racking Two AIs
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad that you found something that works for you. I went through a similar trial and error period as we tried to fit a complete AI, and a Revolution on top of our old car.

I ended up buying Yakima Mako saddles which suspend the boat on bit of a cushioned ride, hug the boat evenly all around, and also leave space for the sail to be transported below the boat. Then I mounted the Ama's on top, by strapping them to the ama bars that go across the kayak. Secure, simple, and if I had a better car at the time, it would have been less straps then you see in the picture. The trick was to mount the Ama's on the kayak first, then put get two people to put the boat on the roof.

Your way looks like it's also secure, and that's what matters most!

Here's a picture of my AI on the roof of our old economy car, and a Revolution beside it (which could have easily been another AI) *and yes... I know... this picture has been on this forum at least 10 times now... sorry for those who are sick of seeing it. :oops: