Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ready to roll..
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hi all. ive a method of transporting and storing my ai, based on my proximity to newquays harbour, which allows for 'ready to roll' storage. one improvement, not shown in the transit photo below, is keeping the akas attached and bungied inwards. to trolley the ai once dismantled i remove the starboard akas, roll it onto its side, insert the trolley and right it before reattaching the 2 akas, packing, rinsing and beginning the homeward trek. (trekking is what the dutch settlers did when they used ox pulled wagons to explore south africa)

once home, i slide in a bow and stern raising block, shaped to support both ends. these lift the kayak weight off the trolley slightly so its supported front, middle and back. i also prefer the tennis balls as a buffer between trolley and hull, as they flex and so fit the differing bottom contours at the scupper holes, which the hobie equivilent, made of hard black nylon/plastic, cant do.

when i want to go s'ai'ling, i just remove the blocks and am ready to roll. i do carry a small block of wood so if i want to lower the bow, i place it so the front hull bottom sits 3 inches up, keeping the akas (strapped forwards) from coming into contact with the road.

notes. that roll of belly straining my rashvest, is reducing. i have better (read worse) photos, which i may post when i have lost it and found my sixteenpack, and have some 'after' photos.

i wear a lumo vest if coming home along the road in the dark, it makes drivers that much more responsible.

the pneumatic tyres are great. they naturally cushion the movement of the ai over rough patches.

finally, paradise found. just need some wind and palm trees.
newquay, cornwall, uk

Post subject: Re: ready to roll..
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a great looking solution you have there!

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos