Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a TAI in mid-May along with a wheel cart and a Trailex trailer with 4.80-8 tires. On a recent trip to the NC coast, tires on both the trailer (on I-95) and the cart failed.

I am worried that the TAI is too heavy for the standard equipment that may be designed for the single seat boat and other kayaks. Anyone else having this problem? Any recommendations on larger tires?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a Tandem Island and purchased the heavy duty plug in cart, but on the first outing didn’t like the way it felt so I purchased a C-Tug Trolley it has a wide bearing surface and straps on.

Product Description:
With 300lbs of capacity, a super quick breakdown and the ability to carry everything from surf skis to kayaks to dinghies, the C-Tug is the kayak cart you've been waiting for. The high impact plastic is virtually indestructible and the design fits everything...everything.

http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com/p ... olley.html

My trailer is one from my bravo that I have changed over. 12” tires.

That’s all the data I can give. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i use the heavy duty hobie cart and i have not had any problems with it on my AI or my TI

as for my trailer it is a converted jet ski trailer that carrys both my AI and TI at all times (the boats live on the trailer in the hobie cradles) with the 5.7 x 12 tires (i think they may be 5.6 but the tires are big) and i have not had any problems with my tires on either my heavy duty cart or my trailer tires

just make sure your tires are inflated. i inflate my trailer tires to 40 to 45lbs/square inch

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I bought a TAI in mid-May along with a wheel cart and a Trailex trailer with 4.80-8 tires. On a recent trip to the NC coast, tires on both the trailer (on I-95) and the cart failed.

Since the load capacity of the Trailex 8" tires FAR exceeds the weight of the boat... tire pressure and/or speed are the likely causes of trailer tire failure here. 8" tires should not be driven at higher speeds.

For the cart... which model did you get? The HD version is the suggested cart for the TI.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt - What's the definition of "Higher Speeds"? We have 75 mph speed limits in OK and I fully intend to drive the speed limits as long as the trailer is pulling solidly straight. I'm running 40 psi in my tires on the Double trailer with the 8" wheels.

RiCo77 - How much pressure did you keep in your tires and what speeds were you running?

Hobie Cat 14T
Home built sailboat (in progress)

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakaboutit wrote:
We have 75 mph speed limits in OK and I fully intend to drive the speed limits as long as the trailer is pulling solidly straight.
You may not have to worry about the tires, at 75mph, they may not be touching the ground! :o

When not loaded yet, but hitched to the truck, I can lift the (double-double) trailer with one arm to slide it over to the curb. :) It's that light.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakaboutit wrote:
We have 75 mph speed limits in OK and I fully intend to drive the speed limits as long as the trailer is pulling solidly straight.

I would highly advise you to research the tires' speed and load ratings as per the manufacturer of the tires.

I have been trailering my race/show car for years now and I can tell you from personal experience as well as talking with others that heat is the enemy - and is generated by speed, tire pressure, and loading.

Almost everyone who starts trailering their cars and buys a new trailer learns two things immediately - the stock tires they sell with the trailers are junk, and, you need to slow down and take it easy ... get there an hour later but you're not abusing your gear or endangering you or someone else on the road.

If I was in this situation, I would be looking for the best tire/wheel made that will fit on axle and go with the biggest diameter you can fit - bigger diameter = greater circumference = less revolutions per mile = less heat

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Truck and Trailering speed in California is 55. This is somewhat the norm country wide.

One of the trailers we have here shows 60 PSI cold as max load pressure. Tires do vary a bit though.

The larger tires will help.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice on slowing down. I have never had a problem pulling trailers at 75, although I do keep the tire pressure high and monitor it regularly. I must say that I do consider it risky, but when I see so many other prople doing it I started thinking I was being ultra cautious. I'll slow down with the Trailex trailer at least until I decide to get larger diameter wheels some day. Most of my towing will be on slower roads anyway.

Or here is another thought - mount a wing on the trailer to create lift and at highway speeds it will float behind you. Then the tires are simply landing gear. :D

Hobie Cat 14T
Home built sailboat (in progress)

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For what the Trailex Dbl/Dbl trailer costs, I would think it would have bigger rims and better tires.

Should I be looking to buy bigger rims and tires the Trailex trailer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Tires are likely the least expensive part of the trailer, but they would be more money with the optional larger wheels... there has to be a point where you keep the thing basic to keep the cost down for the most users.

For an upgrade, I would look at "Fat Boy" tires. I had these on a really heavily loaded trailer for years with no issue. Low profile, wider tread. Higher capacity. 10" I think.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok. Thanks Matt.