Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a single AI and related Hobie equipment. One item that I have struggled with using is the Kayak Cart "Plug-In" Hobie TRAX model (w/the big balloon type tires). When I tried removing the TRAX wheels from under my AI in shallow water, it was a real struggle to get them out from under the hull (it was like 2 big balloons pressing "UP" under the AI). Once I finally was sucessful removing the wheels, I placed them in the scupper holes and went pedalling and sailing on my shakedown cruise. Then, when I returned to shallow water, it was very, very tough trying to re-install the TRAX wheels into the litlle scupper holes so I could "drag" it on shore, again. So, the next time out, I tried removing the TRAX cart before getting the AI into the water, then leaving the Cart behind in my truck (I trailer my AI to the launch sites). Of course, with the TRAX wheels now in my truck, I had to anchor the AI, walk to my truck, get the wheels, and then return to my "beached" AI (it doubled or tripled my time to launch and recover). Perhaps the "correct" way to use the TRAX wheels would be to cart the AI to the water, put the bow of the AI in the water, remove the cart, install the wheels in the scupper holes, then reverse the process when I "beach" it, again. However, since I am a "newbie" to the AI World, I thought this would be the perfect forum to see what other AI owners have experienced and utilize...maybe there is a better "technique"?? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've wondered this myself. I own a Hobie Revolution with the standard kart (no balloon wheels) and we always tip the boat on it's side before entering the water, and remove the wheels from the bottom and put them in the top of the scupper holes.

I plan on getting a TI sometime, but I've really wondered how I would remove the wheels on that boat. A TI or an AI can't be tipped on it's side as easily because of the ama's, so I've got the same question as Kondike does. How is it done?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If not using balloon wheels, it just takes a bit of practice to get used to reaching under the boat to insert the cart while in the water. Some even do it without getting out of the boat. As to balloon wheels, Pirate already solved that problem. Fill the tyres with enough water to neutralize the excessive buoyancy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info - perhaps Pirate would be willing to share the details concerning his technique to fill the tires with enough water to neutralize the excessive buoyancy? Thanks, again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just in case Pirate doesn't log on for a while, I found his original post:
Pirate wrote:
PIRATE'S SOLUTION
Balloon tyres are brilliant for walking the AI across sand, down concrete ramps etc. but have two drawbacks:
1. The kart with the balloon tyes is a little unstable when supporting the full Island especially with other gear in the boat.
2. Virtually impossible to get the kart back under the boat and frame into the scuppers whilst still on the water, due to the incredible buoyancy of the wheels. We want this ability as we can then just paddle into the ramp, disembark and walk straight up the ramp with the boat being wheeled behind. Much simpler and cleaner than tilting the rig whilst in knee deep water to get the kart underneath.
Solution: Remove the valves from the tyres and fill each tyre one third with fresh water. This will make it a more stable kart and so much less buoyant making it easy to pop it under the boat whilst still at sea.
Instructions: Remove the valve using a bicycle valve remover. Depress the tyre to exhaust some air, then allow water in via the open valve under a slow running tap. Repeat a few times till you get enough water in. You can check how much water's in the tyre by holding the wheel vertical and rotating the open valve from top to bottom until water begins to run from the valve. As I said just a little more than a third full of water does the job, leaving the kart still buoyant enough to float easily.
Replace the valve after putting a little vaseline on the thread to minimise corrosion, then pump back up to 2 to 3 lbs per sq. foot. Go check it next time you use the boat and adjust the volume of water to suit your needs. I found just slightly more than a third full does it for me. The kart is a little heavier due to the weight of the water, but not excessively. It is definately a more stable base to carry the fully laden Adventure Island. Mickey witnessed the operation today and he was impressed...So will you be if you try it...Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Klondike wrote:
I recently purchased a single AI and related Hobie equipment. One item that I have struggled with using is the Kayak Cart "Plug-In" Hobie TRAX model (w/the big balloon type tires). When I tried removing the TRAX wheels from under my AI in shallow water, it was a real struggle to get them out from under the hull (it was like 2 big balloons pressing "UP" under the AI). Once I finally was sucessful removing the wheels, I placed them in the scupper holes and went pedalling and sailing on my shakedown cruise. Then, when I returned to shallow water, it was very, very tough trying to re-install the TRAX wheels into the litlle scupper holes so I could "drag" it on shore, again. So, the next time out, I tried removing the TRAX cart before getting the AI into the water, then leaving the Cart behind in my truck (I trailer my AI to the launch sites). Of course, with the TRAX wheels now in my truck, I had to anchor the AI, walk to my truck, get the wheels, and then return to my "beached" AI (it doubled or tripled my time to launch and recover). Perhaps the "correct" way to use the TRAX wheels would be to cart the AI to the water, put the bow of the AI in the water, remove the cart, install the wheels in the scupper holes, then reverse the process when I "beach" it, again. However, since I am a "newbie" to the AI World, I thought this would be the perfect forum to see what other AI owners have experienced and utilize...maybe there is a better "technique"?? Thanks!

It's certainly a problem - I've been waiting for someone to raise it.
I recently got the new kart with larger wheels & found it impossible (well almost) to insert and remove whilst in shallow water. Apart from adding water (which only has one negative issue - additional weight), Stringy suggested removing the wheels from the kart whist inserting or removing the frame. I haven't tried it yet but thought that sounded like a reasonable solution also.
:wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks ssoooo much for posting the information about the use of the TRAX wheels for my AI, and most importantly, a possible solution!! I'll give this a try the next couple of times that I launch the AI, and then provide feedback to the Forum on my results. Thanks, again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I suffered with this same problem for a while. I have a bad back and I try to avoid sudden movement involving weight. In the end I found the best action, (lacking in style as it is,) was to wheel my AI to the water's edge and float it out into thigh-deep water, seize the rear aka in a manful grip, lift the rig onto its side and remove the wheels.

The boat is about 70 degrees to the water at the point of the removal of the wheel assembly.

I also yell out something uncouth at this moment because I feel I like I am a cowboy wrestling a steer to the ground and I have to show it who is boss. Sometimes just for variation, I pretend that I am wrestling a giant octopus, but I don't think octopusses really care who is boss. It is a work in (not much) progress.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have ordered a TI. What cart do you guys think works best, the plug in from Hobie or a strap on type? I have ordered a trailer also but will be using a cart occasionally. How do you remove and install the plug in cart at the ramp or beach?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What works for me is to roll the whole rig into the water, jump in and grab the paddle to get to about 3 feet or more of water, grab a fishing pole (or bring along a short piece of PVC tube or something similar that will slide down a scupper hole) and use the rod handle to push one cart leg down the scupper hole until you hear or feel the wheels thump under the hull. Then simply drop the rudder and turn hard to either port or starboard and circle around to pick up your cart. Then stow the cart back in the scupper hole pair or strap it down.

When leaving the water I haven't yet figured out an easier way than simply beaching and rolling her onto one side to reinsert the cart. Inserting the cart while on the water is quite the struggle for me, but I also haven't tried lessening the tire boyancy (I'd rather not carry extra weight).

CBull

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clew1956 wrote:
I have ordered a TI. What cart do you guys think works best, the plug in from Hobie or a strap on type? I have ordered a trailer also but will be using a cart occasionally. How do you remove and install the plug in cart at the ramp or beach?

Thanks
You're gonna want one of the Hobie Trax 2 carts. When you put it in the center scupper holes, that 200# boat moves like a much lighter boat. Actually easier to move (on level ground) than the AI. With my gear in the back, I can lift it with one finger.

I like the heavy duty wheels, but the newer balloon tires are fine too (and best for loose ground like sand). And, if you cut 1 1/2" off the non-pin side, it fits nicely in the front hatch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is another method that one of our club members provided for his AI and cart:

"The dry method,,,,done at the waters edge in the sand. I practiced this routine since I'm launching and retrieving in surf. Since the waves even in small surf are knocking me around, I put the AMAs all the way forward against the hull, strap the forward eyes together on the AMAs, then roll the whole thing on its side, insert or remove the cart and gentley lift the whole thing back up to upright position using the main rear AKA cross member so as not to put pressure on the scupper holes with the bow as a pivot point. This was taught to me where I purchased it and they said its an approved method, even warrantied."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like your 'push cart out on the water' method CBull! 8)
I'll have to try that with my TI which is harder to lift by the stern, my usual method for dropping the cart with the AI.
The Trax2 cart is a lot more difficult to get back in on the water with its longer posts and wider stance. If I'm using the Balloon tyres I take them off and insert the frame then slip the wheels on- easy.
That is not practical with the pneumatic HD tyres as I have spacers, washers and 'R'clips to get on. The floatation makes it very difficult to line the posts vertically in the scuppers.
I find the Trax1 with pneumatic tyres much easier to insert when returning! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stringy,
Thanks for the feedback!
Getting in is super easy this way. I do find that I sometimes tend to forget about grabbing the plug-in cart after I've rolled into the water and jumped on board. For me I'm a bit too focused on getting started fishing, lots going on in my head I suppose.

Anyone have a better way in which to exit the water?

CBull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
CBull, I too have had a hard time inserting the cart when I'm still in the water. And because of that, my AI has a few scratches on the bottom from two years of mostly pulling the AI up onto the beach. So I decided this year, to figure out an easier way of inserting my cart in the water. I've placed my cart clamps high up on the poles, so when the poles are inserted they just barely fill the scupper holes.

I find removing the cart is easy. By pulling the AI into knee deep water, I reach under the AI with my foot and place it on the crossbar by the wheels and step down. My cart's wheels are the tough balloon type and they surface immediately. I ease them up to the top by keeping my foot on the cross bar so the cart doesn't come flying out of the water. :shock:

Reinserting the wheels have been much more difficult. For a while I had been pulling the AI a bit out of the water, unloading the mast, one ama, the mirage drive and the dagger board. I would fold in one ama and then tip the AI on it's side and insert the cart. Then replace the one ama and fold both of the amas in, load everything back on the AI and pull it up the beach. This was a lot of work and I needed to figure out how to insert them while the boat was still in the water.

Last week I thought I had figured it out. I stood just outside the rear right aka, hanging on to the boat to move it around and keep myself upright. I placed my foot on the crossbar of the cart to lower it into the water and work it so the poles were standing upward. Then moving the AI into position I put my face very close to the rear aka brace and right above the scupper holes. When I could see the top of the cart pole positioned right below the scupper hole I then release my foot. (this is quite tricky) The first time I tried this, it worked perfectly. But the second and third time out, it took me so long to get it right. The water was just a bit too rough and the AI wouldn't sit still. So yesterday after I came in from my sail, I tried to eye ball it again and the cart poles, once again missed the scupper holes and the cart just bobbed up and rested under the AI with the wheels facing the rear. With the cart still on it's side under the boat, I moved the tip of the cart pole near the scupper hole and kept my right hand there to guide it. Then with my left hand I took the wheel which was on my side of the boat, and just rotated it down in the water. The cart pole popped up into the scupper hole!! It worked! It was so easy! :o :o Maybe having the cart clips so close to the top of the cart poles helped? Of course,since I haven't repeated this, I just may have, once again, been lucky. I'll be able to try it again the end of this week.