Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're right Nohuhu. :)
The middle scupper position is best for launching and wheeling the TI any distance. Surprisingly, the TI feels much lighter than the AI due to the better balanced position.
Retrieving the TI without getting too wet is a challenge. Using the C-tug cart alone under the middle scuppers or forward of the front aka in combination with the rear scupper cart works well when the water is cold! Probably not a problem for your location though? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh sure, Stringy. Once in awhile, the H2O temp plunges to 75 deg.

That's when we bust out the C-TUGs and the fur coats. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU had to convert (24C for me); how do you cope with such weather extreams :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am going to go out and get a small set of wheels for the rear. I also think that carting the TI around in the middle scupper hole is great (even better if you do it in sections). The new wheels will be for loading onto the roof of my car; I have found that after getting the TI up to the car I don't really want to roll it over then change the wheel position (rather invest in more wheels).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone looked at the Wheeleez newest cart/boat dolly? It's a pretty interesting "sling type" design, shown here with a AI. (check out their video).
http://www.wheeleez.com/boat-dolly.php

This may be a very good solution for those who just want to transport their boats to and from a beach house, otherwise you'll need a trailer for your trailer :roll:

I myself am still working on a wheel cart design for my personal needs; one that that I can easily roll my TI over soft sand with. It will probably incorporate some aspects and advantages of the previously discussed carts, but may not work entirely for other people. Wheel cart designs are subject to user's requirements. When it's finished, I will definitely post a picture of it.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking forward to seeing what design you come up with. I definitely think that the bigger 30cm wheeleez tyres would make life much easier when transporting the TI over soft sand.

I am probably going to bite the bullet and buy the Trax2 in the next few weeks and see how I go transporting in hull-only mode. Ideally though, I would be able to find a cart that is strong enough, with large enough tyres to attempt to move a full rigged TI. I probably need to start taking steroids first though. Maybe, I'll wait to see what design you come up with and can steal your ideas before you put a Patent on it :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sun E sailor wrote:
Has anyone looked at the Wheeleez newest cart/boat dolly? It's a pretty interesting "sling type" design, shown here with a AI. (check out their video).
http://www.wheeleez.com/boat-dolly.php

This may be a very good solution for those who just want to transport their boats to and from a beach house, otherwise you'll need a trailer for your trailer :roll:

I agree, it's a start. But that thing looks useless for anything other than hard ground or gravel and gentle slopes. Wearing balloon tyres, the clearance of its fat straight axle is just a couple inches, and the wheelbase is far too wide.

With a loaded boat, I'm sure it would bog down in soft sand or hang up on every rock, root and piece of vegetation found at my launch sites. With a V-shaped axle, maybe..

So -- tough crowd here. Ready to show us your idea? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

At least the system doesn't stress the scupper holes. But, I'm already hanging up on rocks with my current cart's axle that a longer axle wouldn't be good. Paul67's idea of moving the scupper mounted cart to midship and using a small wheel cart aft looks good. I hadn't tried moving my cart midship yet. But combined with the small wheel cart, it looks like a good option for me when I'm transporting my TI on my truck racks.

Nohuhu, you're right about it starting to get cold here. I'm going to start having to where a shirt :P

Aloha,

cliff2yak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Checked out the Wheelez site and they got some crazy big beach tire dollies.

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, If Batman owned a jetski...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cliffs2yak,

does that come with a coffee machine?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Paul67 wrote:
does that come with a coffee machine?

Hmmm... Coffee would complement the "donuts" perfectly after a long day of sailing. But, it's EOD Friday and I'm thinking more about a beer draught... ;)

c2y

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pau Hana time!

Have a hobie weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To all,

Just to let you know it is raining in Melbourne (we have been in drought for 10years), the weatherman states that we will have 1months worth of 'normal' rain over the weekend.

Of course; I have the TI now :x .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hum... maybe we could attach a eVolve propeller to this thing and drive it that way :lol:

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone. I know this is somewhat an old topic, but I saw earlier that someone was asking about the Wheelez boat dolly and using it for transporting the TI over soft sand. I have not used this particular model, but am looking forward to trying a boat dolly I purchased from Trailex (Model# SUT-300). I decided to try this boat dolly out, after experiencing pulling a fully loaded TI with the HD kayak cart. That was a workout. Lucky I had a friend with me. Anyway...as soon as I give this thing a try out on Navarre Beach in Florida, I will probably post a youtube video on how it went. If anyone has already used this dolly, I am wondering how easy pulling the TI was...I am always looking for easy methods for transporting over soft sand with good distances from the water. Sorry if I butchered this post, this is my first time posting on a forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next