Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wanted a trailer that would do at least 3 things - move 2 x AI's - and all the myriad gear that goes with them, be a bike trailer and also work as an 8 x 5 flat bed as well.

I did start with a cheap Chinese folding trailer, which was just ok for the AI's but a wooden floor and a folding hinge were a bit marginal for the bikes - I did manage to get the dimensions about right though and quite a lot of the bits went into the new custom trailer shown below -

I need to acknowledge the help and hints I got from stringy about 2 things -

1. Use a flat nylon strap to keep the hobie the akas and the amas all together when loading and unloading, and
2. Fix some Teflon sliding strips (available any boat chandlery) to the H frames the Hobies sit on - see

You will see I chose a mesh floor but not to galvanise the trailer - given it will be stored out of the weather and will be looked after (not backed into salt water) I figured I would take that risk.

Bought an aluminium tool box and bolted that to the front to take two drives in the manner shown -

Also installed a draw bar that retracts or extends by 1.3m as shown (this is needed as the Hobies are too long to clear the towing vehicle without the extension -

When taking the Hobie off the top rack have to leave it on on incline and then move it across diagonally to get it onto its wheels set as shown -

Oh and it moves a couple of bikes pretty well also -

Cost $ AUD 1900 excluding the motorcycle chocks from Holiday Trailers in Sydney.

Just my solution - hope it may help others - best, Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice trailer!!!!

Also nice skyline with Sydney in the background! Shame you are a cockroach then!

I have gone the Taiwanese cheap trailer route with ply floor as I now have a space problem and last trailer I left at work got stolen! I need a trailer for the dump, etc and once I sort out the space issue I have I think I will go like yours.

Every steel floor trailer I have ever known rusts out so mesh is a great idea!

Do the plastic rails damage the Hobies during transport?

Is it painted or powder coated...looks powder coated in the pics!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

angusisthedevil wrote:
wrote -

"Every steel floor trailer I have ever known rusts out so mesh is a great idea!"

I asked the guy at Holiday Trailers what the secret was to keeping them rust free - he said the fastest way to rust a tailer floor (even gal) was to leave wet grass clippings in it esp if fertilised - the phosphates and nitrogen are your real enemy if left for any time - so no more gardening, all sailing ok??

"Do the plastic rails damage the Hobies during transport?"

No issues so far - I think getting the racks exactly 1.7m or 67" under the brace positions on the hulls is important though.

"Is it painted or powder coated...looks powder coated in the pics!
"

Asked about that myself - its a 2 part epoxy paint by Protec and they say owners typically get about 15 years hard yakka out of the surface before the steel will need attention - we'll see about that.

Oh and no more jokes about NSW ok? - you can currently have the whole place for $3.50 and a kick in the nuts!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great! I particularly like your idea for mounting and storing the mirage drives in the tool box... fantastic. Thanks for the pics!