Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After reading several different posts scattered throughout the forum, it SEEMS that the Trailex trailer for the AI is being used to carry a single TI. Moreover, it SEEMS that a slightly different configuration is required to accommodate the TI.

This is all very confusing because my TI Trailex didn't come with instructions on the CD for building in a TI configuration, only an AI configuration. I checked the Trailex web site... nothing there. Are instructions for the TI configuration available, and if so, where? I'd rather rebuild the entire trailer than risk wrecking it or my TI because of bad weight distribution.

Looking forward to hearing from Matt on this one. Thanks in advance!

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hey, I just put one together on friday for our new TI. First I tried the .pdf file on their CD, and it was way confusing.

Finally I noticed that there is also a word doc version of the assembly manual, and it's a little bit better.

Basically, the only real difference is that you put the roller under the bow of the boat for the TI version. It goes at the very back end of the "rail" ( they call it a tongue) on the AI version.

If you look at the very last page of the assembly manual in the word version there is a photo of a TI strapped to the trailer with the roller under the front.

to be honest, it sucks. I am looking for some aluminum stock here on the island, and am planning to build some kind of a yoke to go up front to not only support but to tie down the bow of the boat. I think Trailex's idea of sticking the roller there (they call it a roll) is just to support the weight of the bow. Obviously, it does absolutely nothing as a roller. Nothing rolls on it.

In my application I moved the rear cradle/cross arm thing all the way to the back of the rail/tongue, as I was worried about the unprotected metal back there gouging the hull. eventually I hope to improve upon that whole situation by fabricating some kind of roller. But then I didn't bother with the lights or license plate holder. I don't need them where I live. You'll certainly need them there in my old home town of Houston.

take a look at the last page (47) of the word doc on the CD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gringo,
Thanks for the info. I've been monitoring your posts, and I read about your findings with the Trailex roller mounted at the front. As such, I left the Trailex roller mounted at the rear to act as a bumper, and have since added an 11.5-inch tall galvenized steel roller bracket to the front. Currently, it's a flat roller, but I'll soon change it to a V-roller. Additionally, I'll add a second tie-in bracket to help stablize the new roller bracket. With the bow support, the trailer seems a lot more competent, and the boat is more stable.

Here're a couple photos:
Sorry this one's so large. I couldn't get it to resize.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the idea. I will try to see if the one marine store on the island has something like that. having problems finding aluminum stock heavy enough at local Do-It center. they have thin aluminum stuff.

I was trying to stay away from steel, as it will electrically eat the aluminum. But that front roller never gets in the sea water so it might be okay.

I am finding that it's actually easier for me to unhook the trailer at the ramp and just lift the tongue and roll it to the water, boat and all. I am thinking of adding a short length of tubing or pipe across the frame at the front just as a handle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gringo,

Yeah, I don't like the idea of using steel either, but it's all I can do for now. Today, I'm ordering a winch post & bow stop from Trailex. They have an existing model for the SUT-200-S trailer, but it should work just fine on the trailer you & I have. That is, it'll fit the trailer, but may require some adjustments to fit the TI. Here's the link (it's the model shown at the very bottom of the page.)

http://www.trailex.com/SUT-200-S.cfm

Originally, I was not going to buy this item, but then I thought about my wife possibly having to load the boat by herself in a remote location if I happen to be out of comission due to my bad back. For 50 bucks, I'll pay to keep her happy.

As for the handle, if you look closely at the top photo in my earlier post, you'll see I've bolted a tongue handle to the coupler. They're cheap... about 7 dollars or so at most marinas. I already love it, and I'm NOT going to use a tongue jack, 'cause lifting this thing with the handle is easy.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bet you don't need 4 wheel drive to get to your ramp. Actually the road between our house and the closest usable ramp is pretty rough. I am going to have to come up with some better ways to secure things. We lost a paddle on the second trip, which never showed up again. Arghhh! and when we get to the ramp the boat is never like it was when we started. And this is only about three miles from the house.

At least the clear water makes it easy to pick out the larger rocks once we get there. There are usually a few fresh conch shells there, too. This is our first 'float off' the trailex, first time in the water:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

UPDATE:

Forget about this thread and go to Gringo's post titled "Using the Trailex with the TI" (click here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=33561). There are lots of photos there, too!

I've abandoned the recommended Trailex and Hobie configuration for the Trailex, and developed my own, complete with a bow stop and winch, using Trailex parts for a similar trailer.

Image Image