Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof bars
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've recently bought some roofbars for my car to rooftop my ai but I don't think they're spaced far enough apart.
They're factory bars at a fixed distance.
What is the recommended minimum distance the bars should placed?

Post subject: Re: Roof bars
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a TI and I have added a Thule Goal post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw this a while back and thought about the same but does it restrict ur boot opening?
And how do you load it?, onto the bars then place the goal post in?
I currently transport in on top of my motorhome which is 9+' high,
Or trailer it where venues allow, but I think I'd use it a lot more if I could get it on top of my car.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It can be done. I used to take my AI on my Civic with the bars just 25 inches apart. (EDIT: the bars may have had a 30 inch spread) The thing that made it work for me is adapting from Hobie's recommended way to carry the boat.

Hobie recommends carrying the boat upside down on the gunwales. However since they also recommend having the bars further then I had them apart, I looked at the best way to compromise.

I went out and bought Yakima MAKO saddles. (not the Mako Aero, but just Mako) They are a really nice design that doesn't pull the boat down onto it's hull, but instead hugs the boat with even pressure around the hull. They also give the boat some "suspension" so that hard bumps aren't absorbed by the boat, but instead by the give in the saddles.

I know others have all kinds of different ways, and I won't say they're bad, because they look great, but for me, these Mako saddles are the only way I'll carry my boat. I've got a new vehicle now and am able to set the bars over 50 inches apart, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well that goes, but given how well these saddles worked in less then ideal situations, I'm excited to see how well they do with a better spread between the bars.

The other thing that you might want to consider is looking into Yakima or Thule cross bars. They are stronger then factory racks, and in some cases they allow you to gain more spread between the bars. At the end of the day, if you are working in less then ideal situation, it's a matter of finding the best solution that you are comfortable with.

I hope that helps.

Here is a picture of the car (an AI with ama's and sail on the roof, and a Revolution beside it)

Here is a picture of the Yakima Mako saddles.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thebarber wrote:
I saw this a while back and thought about the same but does it restrict ur boot opening?
And how do you load it?, onto the bars then place the goal post in?
I currently transport in on top of my motorhome which is 9+' high,
Or trailer it where venues allow, but I think I'd use it a lot more if I could get it on top of my car.

You can not use your boot once the TI is on the roof (well you can open a little if you forget t PFD :wink: ).

I find I pack everything in the boot then I pop the TI hull onto the roof. I do this by lifting the front onto the goal post then I move to the back and lift it up and slide the TI onto the car's roof racks and then into position. I then load the Amas via the side of the car; I just lift and place them into position.

I have found that I can load and unload in 10-15min (15min for after the sail - tired :? )

motorhome which is 9+' high - If you can get it on that you can get it on a car with 1 hand tied behind your back :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies,
Am gonna give this a go and see if it's any quicker \ easier than using the motorhome .
Al let y know.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

just got around to fitting the bars and they're 29.5 " apart on the outside.
trouble is my thule carriers don't fit.
so if i was to use it i'd have to put the yak upside down.
there might be a chance i can get something similar to the goal post made in a month or so which would solve the problem completely.
this is pi**ing me off cos i'm desperate to get out on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Putting the kayak upside down isn't a problem. That's what Hobie recommends, but coming from a guy who put his own boat on bars that were 30 inches apart, I'd never do that without the saddles that I showed above. It's just not enough spread, and you're asking for trouble. I totally get that it's p*ssing you off! I'd try the goal post method that Paul67 is using. Yakima also makes a similar piece called the "DryDock" You could price shop the two brands to see if there's some savings to be had. They're both quality brands.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cheers everyone for the replies,
None of the goalpost methods seem available in the uk
But a think I've got the answer somewhere in my garage,
Quite similar to this method....
Will keep you posted.
Once again thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wow I never knew that you can put such a huge package on top of the car. Looks like a complicated work once you put the kit on the cars exterior.