Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car Topping a TI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a VERY new TI owner. I purchased a used TI off these very forums two days ago. Made the virgin voyage yesterday with my 9 year old and both of us had huge grins the whole time. We had 13 knts of breeze and had a great sail and then a nice mirage drive run through the local harbor. All was good, even great, until I had to put it back on the roof of the car. Success was had by the intervention of a good Saamaritan, otherwise I am not sure what we would have done.

So, I have two questions for this board:

1. For extremely short car topping (1.5 low speed miles), has anyone found a way to keep the amas attached? If so, how do you load and unload? I have a Lexus RX and am thinking about a solution similar to the T-bar above, and am looking for feedback on feasibility.

2. Assuming the above does not work, and for longer trips, what assisted side loading rack modifications have people tried and can recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

frostbit,
this is my first solution for short trips

and this is my latest one

More or less earlier your TI may end up on a trailer....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Frostbit:
Don't worry about trying to keep the AMA's on the boat, we almost always transport our TI with the AMA's off and carry them separately. The TI alone (without the AMA's ) transports on a scupper cart very easily even across sand. The TI kayak itself is actually no harder to get on a car roof than any other tandem kayak including the oasis (all tandems are large and bulky). By removing the AMA's you are taking about 60 lbs off the total weight, I only have ever had difficulty with transporting my TI with the AMA's on, (with the AMA's on it is just too heavy for me)
The AMA's are the easiest things to get on and off the boat, so we don't bother to try to transport or car top with the AMA's attached ever. We load the kayak on the roof, then slip the AMA's on each side of the hull then strap the whole works down. When we get to the launch we take the kayak down roll it to the water, then carry the AMA's separately. I usually leave the aka bars mounted but just folded back when rolling on the scupper cart. This works well for us.
Someone makes a t bar (I think Thule) that swings down to the ground, if I ever get another T bar that's the one I'm going to get, in my mind this would be the easiest car top method, just drop the t bar down park the boat over it, then tie the boat to the bar, then just swing the boat front up and lock the t bar in the up position, then go to the back of the boat, lift it and slide it forward, I would think this would be much safer than how I do it now (I have dropped the boat a couple times with a standard t bar)
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The TI is pretty darn heavy without the amas attached. I have the Rack n Roll T bar that folds down to give me a lower point to load the boat. I have a GMC suburban and it is fairly high. The T bar made car topping possible. There was a good tip to use a line tied to the bumper and the back of the boat. It keeps the boat from sliding backwards. Course I put some wheels on the back of the TI to help it ride up when I slide just the boat on the top without scratching the bottom of the hull. I put the amas up separately. Keep making memories

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clintvava:
We have basically the same vehicle (gmc Denali), if you are in salt water, you need to rinse off that roof often, we rusted out the roof on ours and it had to be replaced. Now I'm not allowed to use the Denali anymore so I got a harbor freight trailer instead and tow with my pontiac solstice.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think it depends on your situation and what works best for you. I love car topping the TI and I make sure to rinse my truck off as Bob mentioned. I just personally have too many freakout memories with trailers. I was on the interstate one time towing a 27ft Helms on a double axle trailer. One of the axles suddenly split in half. Let me just say if that happens it looks like an action movie in your rear view mirror. I have had plenty of other less dramatic examples.

My uncle was pulling his 24ft bay boat back from Venice one time and while he was singing along in the car he looked in his rear view mirror and nothing. No boat. No trailer. Just gone. The trailer ball somehow shaved right off and I guess he forgot to use the backup chains. Fortunately no accident but found his boat in some thick woods off the hwy.

Just for me personally if I can avoid trailers then I always avoid trailers. With my current setup I have taken 15-20 hour road trips. Stay at 75 on the interstate, have been on windy mountain roads, etc and never the slightest problem. The down side of course ifs the lack of convenience when putting the TI in the water. Also I noticed this T-rack that actually pivots down. I bet this would come in handy for some people - http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/69A6612A0A0.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

surferhunterguy:
If I ever get to touch or drive the Denali again, I will probably modify my T-bar to work like the one in your picture (just add a couple flat plates to the sides, then cut it off), I got my T-bar from Amazon for about $80 bucks, but it's solid construction (doesn't fold down), and it is a little bit of a bear to hoist the bow of the TI up on top of it (must lift the bow overhead), where with a setup like you have pictured you could lay the T-bar behind the car, strap the bow to it, then swing the whole works up and lock it is place (I would assume much safer, and with two big ole handles sticking out each side you would have something nice to grab onto).
Once you have the bow up there, I find it not too difficult to just walk to the back of the boat lift it up and slide it forward. I roll mine on pool noodles with a PVC pipe running up the center, actually works well. Well I used to anyway till I got banned from the vehicle ( LOL).

We are campers and have to once in a while pull our camper as well, this means the T-bar in the back can't be used. I did see a guy had a T-bar that mounted on the front of his car, so he loaded from the front instead, that would be way cool if I can find a swing down T-bar for the front of the car instead of the back, or even better use both front and back of the car. I saw a guy that carried his two 24ft surfski proa's that way, but those things are only 30 lbs ea, carbon fiber, and I'm sure double/triple the cost of our TI's. Would love to have a setup like that (double T-bar setup, not the Surfski).
Since getting the trailer though, I find it really way easier and faster to launch and retrieve my TI (takes about 10 minutes). And I store the TI completely rigged and ready to go right in my garage. When car topping I never had difficulty getting the TI up and down from the roof, that went quickly and it was fairly easy (and I'm old and not a big guy). But I did find getting everything out of the back of the car and rigging everything to the boat very time consuming (it would take me about an hour, mostly because I have a lot of crap). I don't miss that part at all now I have the trailer.

Bob

EDIT:
If I ever do make a setup with a T-bar in the front and the back, I may try to incorporate two parallel 1 1/2" PVC tubes on 11 inch centers to attach between the front and back bars. The boat would slide on the PVC pipes (that's the way my trailer works currently). Haven't worked out any details, but I think it would be cool and easy to make, plus protect my roof from scratching (I've had really bad experiences from scratching the roof)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Bob, that makes sense. I would love a trailer if my put in spot was close by. Unfortunately for me anywhere I take the TI is typically a 1hr - 4hr drive and I usually stay for a few days. Unloading usually takes me 20-30 mins with the Hakas and all of my fishing gear. During that time I try to remind myself that this is good exercise :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rack and Roll is where I bought the t bar. It is a Rhino, just like the one in the link above. What I thought was cool, is this T Bar is now in the 2015 Hobie Parts and Accessory for Kayak and Fishing. I had a devil of a time finding a dealer in my area, and they had to special order it for me. The folks down under talked about this equipment on these forums.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,
I have recently become a proud owner of a Hobie TI. Car-topping the beast is a chore, but doable.
I load it on a TJ Wrangler, equipped with a Kongo Roof rack (500 lbs capacity) and cradles. For cross-bars, l had to use a pre-drilled aluminum bracket from Home Depot, and the fit is perfect! It is definitely a 2-person job. I do plan to get a Rhino T-loader, which would make csr-topping it easier.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rhino also make a side loader ,which I found works very well for my TI when loading on a Nissan Xtrail.I used PVC pipe spased at 11 inch centres filled with stainless tube to support the boat on standard cross-bars.The side loader packs up into a small(about 1 meter long)carry bag,which easily loads into the car.I only load the hull and amas onto the roof,everything else into the boot of the car.I tie the front and back of the boat to the tow eyes already on the car.Loading takes about 10 minutes .It can be done alone,but two makes it easier.Happy sailing! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry,forgot to mention,the Rhino side loader has the advantage that you do not need a tow-bar.If you already have a tow-bar,the T-loader is probably the better choice.