Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have ordered a few days ago a tandem papaya:
problem:

I would like to know which system you use to retrieve a TANDEM from the water and put it on a trailer with cradles Hobie
I see always transport systems on the beach and placing of tandem island in water;
but I don't see it ever getting a tandem from the water and climb up the ramp of concrete

features and requirements: only work for one person to pull 100 kilograms (200 pounds)
recover from a concrete chute with a height of one meter in a walking path
use a small winch?

If we have two sailors no problem for lift and pull the kayaks, but if you are only???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leave the trailer attached to your car, use the motor to pull it out.

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I back my trailer down the ramp to launch my TI. To retrieve, I back it down the ramp so the rear cradle is just under water. I pull the TI onto the trailer until the bow is just on the front cradle. I then attach the winch strap and wind it the rest of the way onto the trailer. I consider it to be too large heavy to treat it as a kayak, but instead treat it like it is a boat (which is more accurate really)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Most of the time I use my Car/Trailer off a boat ramp. With my little front wheel drive Toyota Matrix there are sometimes problems if the ramp is steep and slick with marine growth. A few times I did not think I would make it out. Had to get out and throw some sand under the wheels. Eventually the wheels scrub the slime off and I can get traction.

At Grand View Island there is no ramp. I disconnect the trailer and pull it by hand to the beach. I use the Hobie standard cart only on the AI.

We do have one old wooden ramp close by. In the winter I slid my boat down the ice on top of it. Or should I say the boat slid me down with it all the way into the water. Good thing no one was shooting video. I would have ended up on Youtube...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

maurizio,

I understand your situation. Trying to pull a TI back on to a trailer from a boat ramp can be difficult for one person depending on the angle of the ramp, your physical ability and the tide.

Sometimes when I come back from sailing I just anchor my boat in about 3-4 feet of water, then put my Appel Cart
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35157
in the water, under the bow and slide it back towards the middle section (the balance point). I then strap the boat down, pick up my anchor and roll the boat out to some place where it's more level. Once I get back it to my trailer, I will sometimes use a block and tackle to assist me in getting it back on the trailer.

If your going to go it alone with your trailer on a ramp, having a stern roller or a saddle placed on the far rear of your trailer will help catch the bow, and then the rest is (somewhat :roll: easier).
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469
I also have a bow line attached to my forward crossbar which I sometimes use if there's cross winds. It's long enough that I can attach it to the stern to form a long loop. This gives me even move control. It's like having someone guiding the back and front of your boat.

Good luck.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TonyScott,
New TI owner here in New Jersey.
When you attach your boat to the winch to get it onto the trailer, since there is no bow ring, what do you use as the attachment point?
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A good way to haul these boats is to attach a D-shackle to the bow padeye, thread the towline through the shackle and tie it to the front crossbar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The AI isn't as heavy but the same situation is at hand. When a ramp is available, I've settled on backing the trailer into the water and floating the boat off. To recover it, I do the same thing, floating the boat over the trailer and tying the bow to the trailer front. As I withdraw the trailer from the water, the boat settles onto the trailer.

It won't always be perfect, of course. Sometimes I can't get deep enough to fully float the boat over it. Sometimes it doesn't sit down perfectly. But once it's on the trailer in some form or fashion, I can give it a shift or shove and get it where it needs to be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skeenut wrote:
TonyScott,
New TI owner here in New Jersey.
When you attach your boat to the winch to get it onto the trailer, since there is no bow ring, what do you use as the attachment point?
Jeff

I just attach the winch hook to the lines of the bow handle. There is not that much horizontal load on it.

BTW I find it easily the best to launch and retrieve with the amas fully out. It is so much easier rigging and de-rigging when the trailer is on level ground, and it makes lining up the Island on the trailer simpler too, with the amas outside the mudguards. Easy enough to lift them back in later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Amen to that!