Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I am still looking for the best way to carry my Adventure Island atop my Prado. Currently I am using a rack n roll and turning it upside down to carry on rubber padded Thule bars. It rides really well but I have scratched the sides and roof during loading at times so I am looking for a better method which minimises lifting and turning it over to unload, which can be tricky on slopes or in windy conditions. I have had several comments from people as to their method but I am really after the best way which I can use as I get older (cost is not the main issue).
If you have any method that you think would be the perfect solution I would be happy to hear from you but I need to know from someone who has a 39 kg. kayak to lift onto a high vehicle.
Especially interested in anyone with a Thule K - Guard or Hullavator (which is only registered to lift 35kg.)

Cheers

Silky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I load my AI onto a VW Tiguan using a Rack'nRoll bar. I learned on my old car that the hull can leave superficial scratches on the side of the roof from rubbing. I now lay one of my rubber floormats on the roof in the vulnerable area while loading and have had no further problems.
I also find it much easier to flip the hull once it's up by standing on the door sill, so I can reach right across and grab the opposite handle on the hull.

P.S. Strength training is one of the best treatments for ageing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hullivators work fine with the weight of the AI. The only problem then becomes getting the AI into the hullivators when they are in the down position by yourself. With a second set of hands its not an issue at all.

I'm 50, and in pretty good shape and can lift pretty heavy objects but single-handing the AI up, rotating it 90* and getting it into the Hullivators in the down position is just about at my limits. Its not the ~80lbs thats the problem ... its hte weight spread out over 16 feet and pretty wide. Its just an akward maneuver. If you do atempt it alone, put your strong hand through the mirage drive opening ..

I've learned not to be modest and I generally will ask for help from any set of hands that may be nearby. People are usually more than eager to lend a hand, but be prepared to answer 1,000 questions your kayak / tri-maran / sailboat / pedal boat

This season I gained the use of a friends' Jetski trailer indefinately. I put a big piece of plywood over it, scred it down, added some padded 2x4 rails and have been using this to launch with. Its MUCH easier and I'm not giving my truck a salt bath after every outing ... I still use the Hullivators to transport on trips though, just not to my usual / local launch

In the shot below, I was experimenting with using a tripod Easel and a ratcheting pulley to lift and suspend one end of the AI while I would then go and manually lift the other end and place it into a hullivator cradle then lower the suspended end and slide that in. It worked OK on even surfaces but on any slant like a boat launch it was not soo good.

This shot was a few weeks ago on a 1500 mile 12 day roadtrip with my wife and lunatic chocolate lab.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV