Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting two C-tugs to launch and store my TI. Strap one far forward and one far aft. No cradles. One just fore, and one just aft of the grooves in the bottom of the hull. Adjusting the pads to "V" shape if necessary. Hoping that won't WARP the hull bottom.

My TI is kept just feet from the water in a compacted gravel lot. Just have to pull/push it over a small berm to the water which is protected and just inches to a knee deep. Ive been using a single hobie scupper cart with balloon wheels. It's a pain turning over the TI to insert/remove the cart. I have to assemble the amas/akas in the water. Ever try tipping a TI on its side with amas attached? Not easing. Just want to store, launch. retrieve, store fulling assemble (less mast) TI.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi tcul,
The flat pads on the C-tug will cause hull distortion, especially if you are permanently storing the TI on them. I wouldn't recommend it.
Adding cradles helps and you could probably store a TI on two cradled C-tugs but you would need to add bow, stern and AMA supports. The trick with permanent storage on any cradle is even support over the entire hull length/width.
Re tipping the TI on it's side- before I started using dolly carts I used a scupper cart and I found the method detailed in this video to be the easiest:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy.

I've been storing the TI for two years now on two frames made of 2x4"s about 4 inches high with two long 8' PVC tubes along the grooves (as suggested by kayak bob). I place the frames just fore and aft of the mirage drive holes. No hull distortion. So I could probably just replace the wood frames with two C-tugs, keeping tubes underneath the hull.

TC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that’s a use I bet C-Tug never envisaged! Very clever domer! 8)
The one area of criticism I have with the C-Tug is with the plastic on plastic hub/axle.
It should be a stainless sleeve on both as any sand in the hub does cause wear.
It’s a mod I’ve thought about but not acted on as I’m only wheeling short distances, but it would not be too difficult to sleeve both hub and axle if you find premature wear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy, really amazing help and info here for all of us! Well done, you.

It's been a while... wondering
1. if have you continued with the 4-wheeled version of the C-Tug for transporting a TI over sand?
2. Is a simpler 2-wheeled version capable of short runs on sand for a TI with amas attached (without undue strain/hull deformation), or only suitable for transporting the hull only (amas removed)?

I expect that the Wheeleez inflatable tires are best over sand, but am hoping to be able to attach my beach cart in the water when approaching shore, so thinking easily submersible cart/wheels are best... unless those inflatables can be submerged and afixed (they do seem best for sand, if easily attachable in the water)

Any new brainstorms since your last inventions and experiments?

Thx!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi SaltBrained and thanks for the comments.
I sold my TI back in 2019 so I only visit here occasionally as I still have an Oasis and Adventure. Sadly the forum doesn’t seem as active it once was.
Answering your questions:
1-No, but only because I no longer have the TI
2- Not sure. The problem would be overloading the single set of Sandtrakz wheels which are rated to 75kg.
I seem to remember trying (with difficulty) fitting the balloon wheels while the cart was submerged. I was standing alongside the hull. It would be much more difficult in deeper water.
Just thinking out loud, but a possible solution for your situation maybe to extend the axle somehow and run double Sandtrakz wheels? I do know 4 Sandtrakz wheels work with the TI.

SaltBrained wrote:
Any new brainstorms since your last inventions and experiments?
Thx!

Lot’s, but not with the TI!
I’m still messing about with boats. I replaced the TI with a 20’ trailer sailer and I’m enjoying modifying it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Stringy. MUCH appreciated.

Hadn't thought of the "dually-style" Sandtrakz idea via extended axle. May be worth a go, but with cradles to not deform the boat at the scupper holes, I reckon.

Best of luck with your new vessel messing about!

Warmly,

-j

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SaltBrained wrote:
May be worth a go, but with cradles to not deform the boat at the scupper holes, I reckon.
-j

I haven’t tried it, so I don’t know for sure, but C-Tug have a newer style cart that may suit the TI without mucking about with a cradle. Interestingly, it looks similar to what we did by adding the tubes for better support under the scuppers.
https://www.railblaza.com/products/c-tu ... kz-wheels/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, thanks Stringy! I have been looking at those too, and tracked the evolution from DIY suggestions using pvc to this commercial product. Pretty cool how that happens.

I have mostly short stretches of remote beaches here in Hawaii (dirt roads, backside of island), and think something like this may be worth a go: https://duckworks.com/beach-rollers/

They deflate, appear to be tough enough (see reviews on that website), and long enough to stay put underneath. Will still need a solution for initially touching shore without scraping much, but will try using a roller with straps at bow to hold it in place as point of first contact to shore,. First test today (with boat bumper, haven't bought a roller yet) for proof of concept/doability...

Being free of boat ramp will be liberating...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7