Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any experience setting up or modifying a bicycle trailer or something like a Seitech dolly to transport a Tandem Island using an ebike? I need to transport less than 5 miles to a marina launch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know if you searched the forums but here is a good topic to start with:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=54437

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Peter, Yes, I have read that thread. I have been thinking about this since I have had AI's and now a TI for a while. Since ebikes have become more popular I am hoping someone may have some more suggestions. Looking at the 2015 thread again has made me consider again modifying Hobie's big TI cradle dolly to attach to an ebike.

I have put together a swivel wheel that bolts into the otherwise unused mirage cassette plug. I have used this with a two wheel scupper plug cart or a strap on two wheel cart to transport both the AI and the TI less than 1/2 mile to a launch. That works very well. I've never had a problem with that setup. It's pretty tempting to simply use them with a "dumb stick" or a Burley axle hitch for a bike, BUT I would not want to stress the mirage drive space or the scupper holes for a 4-5 mile trip to a different launch.

Have not yet figured out how to upload a photo, but here is a description: I put two six+ inch bolts through the cassette plug, A swivel dolly wheel is bolted to a piece of wood- large enough to cover the area of the cassette plug hole on the underside of the kayak. Pop the cassette plug into the kayak, and from the underside connect the bolts from the cassette plug through two holes drilled into the wood, From the underside, tighten the assembly with star knobs with nuts inside.
i will work on posting a photo ASAP.

Patricia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have pulled my loaded Oasis on scupper cart by bicycle from campsite to ramp (about a mile) and would not want to go any further or do it often. I also have considered pulling with an eBike.

But for regular transport of 5 miles I would want something where the TI is carried and not a load bearing component in the transport system. That means not using the Mirage Drive mechanisms, the scuppers, or the bow handle eye. The bicycle trailers out there are mostly too narrow, too short, or have too low a load capacity, as I'm sure you found.

Don't know if you are a DIY person (you did mount a caster in a mirage cassette!) but these guys have a clever design that could serve as a starting point. Though, as they note, PVC probably wasn't the best choice for the spine.

http://glench.com/make/kayak-trailer/

If I were building a bicycle trailer I'd use the 16" Skyway Tuffwheel (https://www.bikesatwork.com/store/product/skyway-tuffwheel-16) rather than spoked wheels. They also have trailer axles but the widest at 32" was too narrow for my Oasis let alone a TI.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Peter, thanks for the reference for the 16" tires. I agree about the need to NOT stress the Hobie components with any towing setup.

I am originally from MA, so greatly appreciate the young men who came up with a DIY cart to get their kayaks into the Charles River- but hanging a Hobie from that seatpost set up would be scary.

I am at this point leaning toward the modification of a Seitech, Dynamic Dolly, Hobie TI Dolly, or one of the lighter trailers- Malone, Bulldog or Yakima- as you point out, something that actually holds the weight of the Hobie TI. I am planning to be at an ebike store tomorrow to gather as much info as possible. I've already started an email conversation with the owner, who suggested a Rambo bike trailer (we both think too light) or alternatively, a Surly Cargo bike trailer. The latter looks more suitable, but may not be wide enough for the TI- might work for the Oasis.

I found in an internet search that a Dana Point, CA ebike company, Doheny Electric Bike, is involved in a partnership with Hobie to create a Hobie branded ebike and bike trailer. I've been in touch with the shop and they asked if I'd send photos and specs. I think this project is just in the development stage- I have no idea yet what the products will be.

Patricia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other trailer to consider as a starting point would be the steel-framed Gorilla utility carts like this one:
https://gorillamade.com/product/2140gcg-nf/

I like their carts because they have 4 wheels on two axles which eliminates any tongue weight and the front axle turns. The side panels are removable (gives a nice low flat platform) and even with them on it only weighs 49 lbs. Oh, and it has airless tires (no flats) tho they also sell it with regular tires.

They also sell parts like axles and wheels at a decent price for anyone wanting to fabricate a trailer.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I realize this answer may be a little late, but Dynamic Dollies (basically Seitech's successor) does make a bike adapter: https://dynamicdollies.com/collections/ ... -std-dolly

You can give them a call and they can let you know if it will work with your Seitech dolly or if you'll have to make modifications.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have any experience towing with an e-bike, but I do have a lot of experience with E-bikes. I own a Specialized Turbo Levo, Which is one of the best and most powerful e-bikes currently in existence. I don't think it has enough torque To pull the weight of an AI on a typical trailer, But I would encourage you to keep trying because E-bikes are awesome and will soon find many more applications

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your thoughts on e-bikes. Somebody is going to market one to tow the heavier Hobies AI's and TI's!

I did purchase a Rambo bike trailer, and added a steel rod running inside some of the length. It will suffice, I think, to bring the TI's akas, amas, and sail by regular bicycle down to the Creek launch 1/2 mile from home. But no way would I try to put the TI on it!