Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long Distance Trailering
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We are moving in the near future. New destination about 2500 miles. I plan to tow the TI on the Trailex 350.

Should the tires be pumped up to their rated max pressure? Seems high given the low weight of the boat/trailer.

I plan to make sure the bearing buddies are full. Anything else to worry about?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've talked to Trailex, and the person I talked to said it was not a problem. You could, of course, put on 12" tires for a little peace of mind. Regarding tire pressure, I believe you simply need to inflate to the recommended pressure to give good performance and wear.

I'm planning on doing a similar, actually more like 4000-5000 mi next summer, so I'll be interested in how you do. Please keep us informed.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've trailered my TI on 600 mile trips to south Florida and back, and I haven't had a problem so far. I know I'll need to get the bearings checked out each year. When we stop for gas I put my hand on the wheels and axles and there weren't hot (not that that says anything).

I just keep the tires inflated to the recommended pressure (can't remember what that is).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I were planning a trip that long with any trailer I would probably repack the bearings to be sure bearings, races, cotter pins, and castle nut adjustment were all good. This is easy to DIY, just very messy.
Complete hub assemblies with bearings and races are inexpensive and nice to have if a bearing fails on the road.
I have had good experiences buying parts from etrailer.com

Check the air in the spare.
Check the age of the tires and replace them if close to 10 years old.

I sometimes lay a hand on each hub when I stop for gas to see if one is overheating.

Check the straps holding things on the trailer. Nylon straps often stretch quite a bit.

Have a safe trip

- C

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totch wrote:
SNIP
When we stop for gas I put my hand on the wheels and axles and there weren't hot (not that that says anything).
SNIP

On the contrary, cool hubs at a fuel stop are an excellent sign that all is well with the bearings. I do that all the time, as it provides great peace of mind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very good guys! Thanks for all the tips......extra parts sounds like a great idea!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

one thing not mentioned (at least I don’t think..)

You likely may take the wheels off to do bearing greasing and maintenance then put the wheels back on getting ready for a long tow.

The nuts that hold the wheels on have a torque spec.. but if you don’t know this or don’t use the special torque wrench.. after you drive a ways (maybe 50 -100 miles, maybe the first gas stop), get out whatever tool you use and re-tighten the nuts holding the wheels on.

The worst trailoring problems I have had in the past were from the nuts working loose on the trailer wheels (not a good thing as you can imagine) and it’s usually happened after doing maintenance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do a 360 mile (each way) trip from Northern Virginia to Ocracoke, North Carolina, and back, once or twice a year, all at highway speeds. I've never had an issue, just grease the bearings and make sure the tires have good pressure. Make sure everything is strapped down well and don't be afraid to put some additional items on there for some extra weight, it will get bouncy on bad roads. I always put a red or yellow flag on the back for additional visibility. The only real problem I've had is getting through a few tight drive-through windows with the long trailer behind me!