Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
This is my first post. First I wanted to thank everyone for all the great ideas and posts on this forum. I have really learned a lot.
I am getting ready to purchase a new or used Tandem Island. Can't wait! I have a utility trailer ( trailer ramp can be removed) that I really am not using and was wanting to get some thoughts on using it vs. buying a new kayak trailer.

Obviously there is a cost associated with a new one, so that is one PRO to using what I have.

I attached a picture of the trailer. I am concerned with a couple of things.
1) The TI is 18" 6" long, so with the length of trailer I have, the TI would hang over about 4-5'. Would I be okay with using the Hobie trailer Cradles and having it hang over that much or would I need to use some type of PVC to support it more.

2) Since the trailer is not galvanized, I could not back it down into the water. Could I use one of the Hobie carts to unload from the trailer and then back into the water at a boat ramp or beach? I plan on using some type of boat ramp for most of my access.

I know there are lot of great DIY's on this forum, so I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would seriously consider getting a galvanized boat trailer. I had a TI (sold it a few months ago awaiting the arrival of my 2015 TI) I had an old pontoon trailer that I mounted 2 tool boxes for extra gear and accessories. The biggest pain was doing boat ramp launches. I had to pull it off the trailer and then set it up. It took me approx 45 min to pull it off the trailer, set it up and launch it. I now have a new ez loader trailer. It is more narrow. Now I should be able to set everything up while on the trailer and launch like a regular boat. This will make the others happy that I'm not tying up the boat ramp for a long time. It is worth the effort to set up an appropriate trailer.Image

Last edited by 18-reeler on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've seen a variety of interesting trailer ideas on youtube, you may want to search there. This one incorporates the dolly into the tail end of the trailer for quick unload/load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xuRFzLeik

As far as the overhang, Hobie offers the Trailex SUT-350-AIT, which is around 15 feet long, so it would also have 4-5 feet of overhang. (I'm waiting on my 2015 TI as well, I didn't like the idea of that much overhang so opted instead for the SUT-350-S which is 18'6" long.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can do some metal fabrication, that trailer wouldn't be difficult to modify for a TI. I would make the front railing removable and move the spare to the side of the trailer. Then the TI bow can come right up to the hitch and you won't have so much overhang at the stern. I'm about to complete a trailer for a new TI using the PVC bunk method. It wouldn't be difficult to build a skid out of lumber or metal for cradles or bunks to attach to on your trailer. Then, when you want to use the trailer for something else, just slide the skid off the back end onto some dollies and store in your garage if you have one. It might even be possible to keep your ramp in place by adding some extendable supports that hold it level with the trailer bed. That would sure be handy if you could drop the ramp to the ground for loading/unloading. That may make it necessary to have additional temporary trailer lights at the rear.
(Looking at the picture again I realize that your ramp would have to be modified. I didn't realize it had the bend at the end. I would consider shortening the ramp.)
Lot's of possibilities.

- Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome from another newbie. This forum is great for learning and sharing ideas. If you have other uses for the trailer or plan to bring other stuff along when you carry the hobie, a cradle is a great idea. I never put my trailer in the water, even fresh water. The lights and wheel bearings last much longer that way and it is not a big deal to unload. I back right up to the water and the boat gets unloaded in the water not on the ground.
If you plan on using the trailer just for the hobie, consider selling it and buying another trailer to convert. Something a little lighter and longer would be easier to tow and cheaper to set up. I have two trailers, one for the hobie and one for my other kayaks. I just move the plate to the one I plan to use. Not the most legal way but it does save some money.
Good luck on your boat search, I looked for a few months to find a good deal on a used TI. Ended up driving 200 miles to get it but the price was worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the different feedback on both options.

One of the reasons I was looking to use this trailer is for space. I don't want to get rid of it, because I do use it for other purposes. Having to get a second trailer means I would have to find room for that as well.

I did like the idea about the skid and that could also be used to store it on in my garage. If the skid is the same height as the railings, I wouldn't have to cut the front railings to push the kayak up more towards the front. I also watch a video earlier on YouTube of someone who used some pic pipe with wheels to extend into the water at a ramp. Keeps the trailer out of the water but looked to make easier to load.

Another option is that I could use this trailer temporarily for a year or so if I get a new TI. The cost of both new is pushing the budget some and may get the wife upset if you know what I mean? :D

I will post what I come up with.

Thanks