Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys

This forum is a great resource. I've learnt heaps here already.

I'm currently looking at purchasing a TI (unless I hate it after I try one out). My girlfriend has bought a 4 metre fishing kayak. It's quite wide so I am going to build a double deck trailer.

eBay has provided me with this second hand Jetski trailer complete with an overhead cargo rack.

The tailer is a bit narrow between the guards but I figure I can make the TI high enough for it to be above them and still be fully assembled. I've taken a lesson for my last boat ( a trailer sailer) where excessive set up time limited my boating. My goal is to build a trailer that:

* Stores both kayaks fully assembled to speed launching and pack up.
* Is easy to use so that I can hitch it up any time I want to go sailing with minimal preparation.
* Is fully self contained so that all equipment is stored in the trailer not the car. (or lost somewhere in the garage)
* Allows me to launch and retrieve single handed. Using the strap winch if I'm at a normal ramp or using a trolley if otherwise.
* Stores all equipment securely when the trailer is left at the ramp.
* Provides adequate support so that the Kayaks can live permanently on the trailer, fully assembled, without causing hull distortion.

I've read pretty extensively through the forum but still have some questions. The first job is to extend the length of the trailer. I have extended the draw bar with a single length of RHS it's now finished and ready to be galvanised. The photo shows it fitted up and tack welded.

The next job is to build a bolt on frame to extend the rear of the trailer. I thought minimal boat overhang would be best but without a boat sitting on it the trailer is starting to looks very long! I need to decide how long to make this rear frame. I've set the front of the trailer up with 3 metres from the axle centre to the winch post. I've also left enough room in front of the winch to open the tailgate on the car.

If I go with the TI this leaves 2.64 metres of boat behind the axle. Do I build the frame to the full length or leave some boat overhang?

I'm was thinking about reusing the existing bilge roller racks that the Jetski used to sit on for the extended rear section to assist in launch and recovery. But I think it will be too heavy? Does anyone think this will work? I can provide more photos of what I had in mind if it's not clear.

I have lots of other questions but that will do for a start.

Thanks

Brad

"Kayaking Bob" Spray Skirts
Trampolines

Last edited by BradK on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Brad,
I had a double deck trailer built for a couple of AIs. Having a tilting top deck I found to be a great help.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=51311

Cheers
Colin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad, I opted for the long trailer/minimal overhang approach. One thing I like about it is having a place for the cart to sit at the back. I think it will allow me to strap the cart on as I unload the boat or drop the cart to it's resting place as I load the boat. The cart rests just below the level of my pvc bunks.
I put the trailer lights on the top level for better visibility.
I'll post some pics.

- Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Chris

I hadn't thought about a cart yet but I like your idea of mounting it at the rear. I would rather mount things rather than tieing them down.

I also thought about putting my lights up on the rack but my rack will not extend right to the rear of the trailer. I am going to use some 100mm angle to protect the lights at the rear, similar to the existing trailer.

Now that my trailer will be more than 6 metres in length the Australian Design Rales say I need side clearance lights. I've read the section in the "Building Small Trailers" document more than a dozen times and it still doesn't make any sense to me. :?

Any photos of your trailer would be great.

Can you tell my how much boat you will have in front of and behind the axle?

Cheers

Brad

Trampolines

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad, my axle is 55" (140 cm) from the rear of the trailer and the trailer is 19' (5.8m) long. I only left enough room at the front for the tailgate of my pickup to open. The winch stand\bow stop is right behind the hitch. I think the boat will overhang the rear less than a foot.

My trailer is pretty narrow, side marker lights are not needed here if you are under 80" wide. I had to add a license plate light because the lights are up on the rack.
I posted some pics in the thread that says pvc bunks.

- C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Chris

The trailer looks good. What are the dimensions or the unitstrut cross bars and the RHS you have used for the uprights?

I was going to use 25mm square RHS (1 inch) for the cross bars, because I have some, but maybe the unitstrut would be better?

I'm not sure where I would buy the unitstrut from but the internet shows it being available in galvanised finish.

Brad

Trampolines

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Brad
The rectangles that the grid is mounted on are made of 2" x 1/8" square tube on the bottom, 1 1/4" 16 ga. ( 1/16" ) square tube uprights and 1 5/8" Unistrut across the top. There is a piece of 1/8" flat bar between the uprights and Unistrut to provide a better welding surface and avoid the punched holes in the Unistrut. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the 2" tubing in the center of the 1 /1/4" upright. This was just to allow moisture to exit the bottom and a place to run the wiring for the lights on the rear. The inside dimensions of the rectangle are 50 1/2" x 30". I used this size based on what Bob ( fusioneng) told me about lashing the amas to the top of the hull for transport. I wanted the option of transporting either way. I sandblasted the galvanized Unistrut so that I could paint it along with the other mild steel parts.
I might have used 1/8" thick tube for the uprights and the welding would have been easier but I already had a lot of 16 ga. I think it will be fine for anything I intend to mount on the top level. Similarly, the red pieces of angle iron that attach the bunks are 1" 3/16". I would have used 1/8" if I didn't already have a lot of the thicker material.
I posted some additional pics in the other thread today.

- Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've made the rear frame extension. It just needs some cleaning up and it will be ready to be galvanised.

I've decided to use the PVC pipe bunks mounted on transverse timber cross members to support the TI. I haven't decided how to mount them but I am thinking about drilling through the frame and using stainless deck screws from underneath.

Any other ideas?

Brad

Trampolines

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad
I would probably weld 2" square tubing tied to the frame across the trailer and attach the bunks to that. Depending on what size "timber" you intend to use I would be concerned that it would sag over time. You could remove the original bent jetski cross supports if you tie the frame together with steel. You are gaining height by stacking the rear extension on top of the original frame. By the time you add cross supports and pvc the TI will be sitting higher than it needs to for ease of loading/unloading.
Probably a lot of ways to do it, just my two cents worth.
- Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I need to make a decision on the overall trailer length. I had assumed that the hull length for a TI quoted in the brochure (5.64 m or 18' 6") was for the hull excluding the rudder. However the local dealer advised me that the quoted length included the rudder. Unfortunately he didn't have a TI for me to measure.

Can someone advise me what the length of the TI main hull, excluding the rudder, is please?

Cheers

Brad

Trampolines

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Brad,
Measured along the top from gudgeon (not including rudder) to bow point I get 5.55m.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy

I'll start on the drawbar tonight.

Cheers

Brad

Trampolines