Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2012 hyundai elantra and I already have the yakima round bars roof rack (58" with the q-towers).
While looking into an AI purchase, I was thinking the Thule sqaure bars might be better - just for the accessories and things clamping down nicely on the square bar system.

What I do not understand are the weight limits.
Both the roundbar and square bar have a 165lb weight limit. However, the "fit information" from thule for my particular product (58" square bar) says "This solution has a maximum weight limit of 110 lbs."

My plan was to strap everything to the roof - hull, mast, amas. I would assume that would come close to the AI's "Fully Rigged Weight: 142 lbs", but at 110lbs, I suppose I can't do that.

Is anyone using 58" squarebars for AI transport?
should I just stick with the round bar (since I already have it), and just deal with the roundness-shortcomings?

thanks!
-cameron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If the weight does not exceed the limit for your round bars, I'd say at least try it out a few times before spending additional money. It might take going out a few times to figure out what will work best for you.

I started out car-topping the AI on my VW jetta (one set of Thule bars and pillars) and Honda Pilot (bought another set of longer Thule bars and clamps for factory rails). That got to be too much of a hassle, and I wanted 4x4 to access the Padre Island beach and muddy lake shore. So I got a pickup with a bed extender. Then I realized the AI took up all the room in the bed, and no room for my stuff. So I got a trailex SUT-350. Sold the AI, got a TI, and it is quite happy on the trailer.

Wish I would have just gone the trailer route from the beginning, I could have save a few hundred dollars on Thule stuff.

-C

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ignore the website specs. The fully rigged weight for a '15 AI is #185.
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=705

Going the trailer route is sound advice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks stringy and chris-
After looking at the newer weight information, it looks like I may end up modifying a trailer (I've seen your posts stringy).
For an idea that sounded so easy a few weeks ago - this is really becoming a challenge given the parameters of my home (and how much junk is in my small garage)!

thanks guys!
-cameron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ran my 2012 AI on round yakima bars for years...no issues. I run thule square bars on my trailer with a 2015 AI - no issues.

what i don't know is are the weight limits not the actual bars, but some other portion of the unit