Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey All!
What do you guys think of the Malone MicroSport trailer for hauling around at TI? Anyone using one? We just got our first TI a few weeks ago and it's painfully (literally) obvious that we can't keep topping it on our SUV, so I'm looking at trailers -- specifically one that the tongue can be removed so we can prop the trailer against the wall in our garage. <--- this is a MUST since we live in a townhome and don't have a place to keep a trailer outside.

I know I will have to do some mods to the trailer to make it work well for a TI and would love to hear about them, but also it's viability for long road trips with a TI on it. Our beach place is 300 miles from our townhome so I wonder about the stability and safety of the Malone trailer at interstate speeds with a TI on it.

Thanks all!!
Lance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Lance,
I see you've had no response.
You may be the first to use this for a TI? They seem popular with the PA users.
I have no experience directly with this trailer but I have modified similar trailers to carry Islands. Looking at the specs it seems it would work OK with a TI. Malone are stating up to 20' canoes so length shouldn't be an issue and with a capacity of 355lbs you could carry some extra gear as well. I like the look of the storage box option that mounts over the axle.
You will have to think carefully about how much unsupported rear overhang you want and whether you plan to use cradles or pipe bunks for support.
If it was me I would be making a frame that sat on top of the trailer and cantilevered from the rear to support the hull and lights/licence plate. 2" rhs tube would work for cradles or 2" pipe if going the bunk/skids route.
You want to store this trailer standing up but what are you intending to do with the TI at home? If you are thinking roof hoist then the frame would need to detach from the trailer easily for hook up to a hoist. Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a quick release system using pins through U section brackets or the like on the trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks stringy. Storing the TI in my garage ceiling is exactly what I was planning on doing. Great idea if one frame for hoisting and travel! Thanks!

I've got access to a metal shop so I've been planning on doing a good bit of mods and have been planning on PVC bunks too. And yeah, the idea of how much rear overhang has been bugging me a bit so I may have the metal shop fab me a longer tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lance,
I was advised by the manufacturer of the dinghy trailer I used to extend the rear of the trailer, rather than the tongue. That way the TI was centred over the axle and the tongue weight wasn't excessive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a Malone Microsport for my AI and have added the PVC electrical conduit bunks to it for better support of the keel.
I drive it on the freeways but keep the speeds between 55 and 60 MPH and it tracks well behind the tow vehicle.
Personally, I think that it's the way to go as the loading and unloading is amazingly easy so I don't feel like I'm struggling with the kayak anymore.
The only downside for me is the speed limit for hauling a trailer is lower on the roads and you have a choice of fewer lanes to drive in as you can't get into the fast or carpool lanes when traveling with a trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered a Malone Microsport. I also looked at Trailex and Portage Pal. Went with Malone because:

- price was a little better than Trailex, though more expensive than Portage Pal.
- well-engineered.
- retractable tongue.
- lots of accessories available.
- could use to transport bikes (my other main passion) and boat simultaneously.
- 12" wheels = less wear on bearings.
- backed by large company with good customer service (Portage Pal is a very small business).

AND, it turns out that Malone is now selling brackets to mount the Hobie cradles to the cross bars on the trailer! If you call Malone, they'll give you a SKU number and you can order the part through Malone's dealers. I'll post an update once I've assembled and tried everything out (probably a few weeks...).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Puzman wrote:
...it turns out that Malone is now selling brackets to mount the Hobie cradles to the cross bars on the trailer! If you call Malone, they'll give you a SKU number and you can order the part through Malone's dealers. I'll post an update once I've assembled and tried everything out (probably a few weeks...).
How did that play out for you?

I have Yakima's Rack-And-Roll trailer and, looking at the Malone, two things come to mind:

• Cradle Spacing: Hobie wants a precise distance between cradles and the trailer would need to support that.
  • Hitch Weight: The Hobie hull only fits wth cradles at a certain point - where hull shape approximates cradle shape; so fore-aft weight distribution has to be accomplished by moving both cradles the same distance fore or aft to get the desired hitch weight.

I wound up using a couple of 2x4s laying lengthwise on the trailer with cradles mounted on them via 2x4 crossbeams.

That way, the entire assembly can be slid fore and aft to get the desired balance/hitch weight.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might consider using 80/20 aluminum extrusions as a lightweight support frame for pvc bunks. Then you only need to fabricate attachment hardware for the trailer and put lift points on the 80/20 framework.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PeteCress wrote:
Puzman wrote:
...it turns out that Malone is now selling brackets to mount the Hobie cradles to the cross bars on the trailer! If you call Malone, they'll give you a SKU number and you can order the part through Malone's dealers. I'll post an update once I've assembled and tried everything out (probably a few weeks...).
How did that play out for you?

Pete,

I did exactly what you described: I bolted a couple of 2x4's to the bed of the trailer running lengthwise, then bolted the cradles to those. This allowed me to keep the recommended spacing, and it lowered the cradles by a few inches relative to the height they would normally be at if mounted on the Malone cross-brackets. While putting the boat onto the trailer in the driveway, it became obvious that I'll probably need a winch- it's a bear to push or pull the boat up onto the trailer single-handed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Puzman wrote:
I did exactly what you described: I bolted a couple of 2x4's to the bed of the trailer running lengthwise, then bolted the cradles to those. This allowed me to keep the recommended spacing, and it lowered the cradles by a few inches relative to the height they would normally be at if mounted on the Malone cross-brackets. While putting the boat onto the trailer in the driveway, it became obvious that I'll probably need a winch- it's a bear to push or pull the boat up onto the trailer single-handed.
I wound up with Yakima's Rack-And-Roll trailer: basically a clone of the Malone but in alu - by the same guy who designed the Malone.

The 2x4 thing works for me too..... but after about a year of using the Yak trailer I am thinking seriously about selling it and getting a Trailex SUT-something-or-other (whatever the smallest size is that will accept two boats).

Five Reasons:

• As you observe, the extra height makes loading significantly harder. .... I've got a pulley system anchored to the racks on my pickup truck and that mitigates it.... but if I get another type of vehicle....
  • I can get the Trailex with enough length to accommodate a winch at the tongue - without shelling out an arm and a leg for the Yakima tongue extension. ..... And maybe a winch would not be required because of the height diff.....Check out the vid ref'd in the last item: he is not using a winch - nor is he working that hard to get the boat on the trailer.
  • The ability to move the axle assembly fore/aft on the Trailex gives a lot more tuneability hitch-weight-wise.
    '
  • The two-boat capacity will allow me to put a good-sized gear box next to the AI. .... Technically feasible on the Yak, but requiring purchase of heavy-duty springs/shocks.
  • The design/proportions of the Trailex allows creating an integrated beach dolly where bigger wheels can be used and I don't have to crawl around on my back under the boat to insert the scupper wheels. viz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xuRFzLeik

Haven't actually put the Yak up for sale yet.... It is a *seriously*-cool trailer... but Coolness<>Functionality....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I purchased a Hobie double AI trailer--it is a Trailex SUT-450 trailer. You can read about my assembly of the trailer here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=435 Scroll down that page until you come to "Hobie Adventure Island Trailer--Double, Assembly and wiring"

I now use the trailer to haul both my 2014 TI and my 2015 AI 2. Overall, I'm very pleased with that trailer.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
...Hobie double AI trailer--it is a Trailex SUT-450 trailer. ... use the trailer to haul both my 2014 TI and my 2015 AI 2. Overall, I'm very pleased...
How does it feel with only one or the other boat on it? .... i.e. do you perceive side-to-side balance issues?

My rationale features a cartop box on one side and the AI on the other: about 245# for the AI, and probably not more than 60# for the box and it's contents.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, I've not noticed any "balance" problems when carrying only one boat. However, when taking only one boat, I often move the cradles to the middle. That way, my winch, mounted on the trailer tongue, works better.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i bought this along with my ti a couple of months ago. combines beach dolly and trailer, a bit pricey but when you consider it comes with the cradles and a beach dolly, it is worth it. i cannot imagine better. the trailer never goes into the water, just the dolly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xuRFzLeik