Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

GaryInWI wrote:
I have also found the front of the amas do want to splay outward during retrieval directing one or both outside the cradles, ...

Be it right or wrong I have never loaded mine with the akas/amas folded in so never had that problem. I fold mine out prior to launch and in after loading and clearing the ramp area. I never really thought of doing it with them folded in as one of the first videos I watched waiting for mine to arrive showed a launch with them folded out so I just thought that was how it's done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wunder:

I have three cradles mounted on my trailer. Added one more up front, with some additional xbars from Trailex. It is pretty intimidating on the boating ramp I use. I tend to go to the shallow side of the ramp AWAY from the dock where the bigger boats cleat. I kind of stick to where the PWC/Jet Ski's load up. So, long story short, I fold in the AMAs both on launch and retrieval. Folks can get pretty impatient, so I try and keep a smaller footprint. California is in a drought and I have a hike to go from the Lake level to the parking lot. That means I have to leave the boat unattended. Again the smaller footprint with the AMAS folded, makes sense for me. When paddle/pedaling out I get out of the traffic jam near the ramp and then push out the AMAs and pull out the sail. If I go out in the middle of the week, I would extend the AMAs. I think it is case by case, there is no RIGHT or WRONG way. Great thing is you can vary the set up by the conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think maybe you meant to reply to someone else- I also always launch and retrieve folded in. I think I'm going to try another roller in the back so the amas ride high enough to clear the cradles when I pull it up onto the trailer- that's really the only thing that bothers me at this point about retrieval.