Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have someone tried to put a TI on an electric hoverboard (air board, balance board) to get it to and from the water? They can usually take 120 kg. Some have bigger wheels than others, which might help. The TI might be too broad in the middle. But you could add a cart or one more balance board.

In case it works you can easily take the balance board with you on the water. You might even put it inside the boat. Which is why I am interested in this solution.

Last edited by Hobie Crafte on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Lithium and water don't like each other.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The lithium in the batteries is hardly the main problem if you dip the balance board in water. Rather some chip, the motor and other stuff will get damaged.

You can store the balance board safely in a sea bag. However, I also will try using the balance board as an engine in the water. Then surely the probability of water related damage gets very much bigger. But I like the idea of using the same engine on land and on water, so its absolutely worth a try.

You could put a propeller or some shovels on the balance board. You might even fasten the balance board to the Mirage drive in one way or another! There is room for some engineering genius here and as I know there are some smart people here I might as well ask you for some help!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a balance board a while ago but couldn't use it, as the battery was quite dead. Now I have done some preliminary testing. I fastened the balance board below the bow, sat on the bow, put my feets on the balance board and off it went, in a pretty high speed!

It worked perfectly well until I tried to move uphill in a short but rather steep hill. Then the weight got too huge for the balance board. My weight is 70 kg and the main hull and some equipment probably had about the same weight.

I had a trolley from Hobie in the middle of the boat. The balance board is lower, so most of the weight will be on the balance board.

You can move swiftly with a balance board as an electric trolley, but if you want to be able to move uphill you might have to create a system which allows you to step off the balance board. I will try that later, but I invite other Island owners to do their own tests.

The balance board was easy to fasten on the stern while on water, but you sure have to shield it from water.