Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My TI 2015 makes a noise when tacking to the left. I looked closely and noticed it could be caused by the loose mast pole lever lock. My mast pole seem to travels much higher than when the lever screw is tightened. I will test this sometime this week. I think somehow my pole goes up and drops when tacking to the left resulting to this knocking noise.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quick question before my test day. Is this mast lever lock supposed to be tight? I was thinking having it screwed down tightly will reduce the up and down play of the pole.

Also called my dealer and he wants me to check the nuts inside hull if loose.
I will really appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would also check the 4 phillips head screws inside the mast receiver tube way down at the bottom that bolts the mast pin plate.
These were loose on my TI and it exhibited the exact same symptoms.
It will take some kind of Phillips bit and socket on long extensions to reach the screws.

Don

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also check tightness of the aka X-bar to hull clamp bolts and the socket screw at the base of the V-Brace.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Aka hex bolt and bottom socket screw inside hull are tight. I hear this when the sail made a sudden shift to the left so I'm thinking the tension is applied in the aka left knuckle and in the mast base caused by this sudden flex of the pole to the left. Only two things to monitor next time I go out
I'll Install my GoPro closer to the mast base so I can share the noise and the exact time it happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's the video to show what I believed is the source of the noise.
Please let me know if you have the same amount of up and down movement.
https://goo.gl/photos/ET4QXqYpv31s7v216

im thinking to drop big washer inside the mast to reduce the up and down play. But nice if I can first hear other owners understand if they have the same amount of up and down play.
The only change in my setup was when dealer replaced my mast pole when I was having problem connecting the original two part poles. So im showing the pole's serial number in the attached link for Matt if he thinks the play is too much and to verify if my poles is for TI 2015.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nap on Fri May 27, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe your mast spool has slipped up the mast? Was a problem for a few a while ago.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nap, can I suggest that adding a washer in the bottom of the mast receiver is not a good idea. Your mast pivots on the top of the pin (inside the hole in the mast), so building up the base of the receiver will only increase friction (and also raise the furling spool in relation to the cross member).

When your mast is locked in, can you move it up and down, stopped by that lever? Ideally there should be a very small amount of play, but hardly enough to be visible.

Any chance you can record the noise via a GoPro vid?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob, done checking and it looks ok.I even tried to move the spool and it looks intact.

Tony, You can open the link in my previous post. One is a picture and the other one is a video showing the up and down movement. And that up and down noise is what I hear wheN tacking to the left.
I also added one picture showing measurements of my mast pole.

Next time I go out I'll put my GoPro close to this mast base.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My apologies nap, I didn't notice that the left image on that link was actually a video. The noise definitely seems to come from the mast lifting and dropping; sorry I cannot readily think of a solution to your issue.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you Tony. Thanks to all who tried to help. I knew there's no easy fix.
Matt, can this be replaced? It's still less than 2 years only used one summer. It looks like the dealer gave me the wrong pole. The pounding noise is unbearable. Every time I tack to the left, I get this loud noise.

It looks like at this point I'm the only one getting this pounding noise. Dealer may have given me the wrong pole replacement. I'm thinking how Hobie glue the mast spool. Do they glue this spool for a specific kayak or they assemble the poles with same measurements within same kayak model making it interchangeable. I'm assuming its interchangeable for same model. I'm assuming the serial number on the pole has a purpose. Is it married to a specific kayak?

Matt, I would appreciate if you can check the serial number (see picture in my previous message) and see if I received the wrong one. I have 2015 TI I purchased last Jan 2015. Thanks in advance.

Let me add here after posting above message. It looks like the very bottom part of the mast pole can be removed to make an adjustment. Dealer can remove the rivet and reduce the length of the pole and reinstall.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In addition to previous message, I think cutting some at the bottom will lower the spool resulting to small amount of up and down play. Remove the rivet, cut some and rivet it back. Anyone have seen the inside of the base? Am I missing something? There are few things I do not know like is the nipple on the receiver supposed to be kissing the top part of its receiver in the pole. Sorry for my choice of words. Anyway maybe the Hobie engineer can just tell me if this is the right thing to do. Hearing the pounding noise since I got this pole to me is out of specs.

https://goo.gl/photos/hrc5wZ5YARwTVxju8

And let me repost here the link to the video and picture that shows the current up and down play here. One picture is a video.
https://goo.gl/photos/ET4QXqYpv31s7v216

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm wrong, the only way to correct this is move the spool which seems to be impossible...I think only Hobie can correct this..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt,
The noise of this mast pole is really annoying. I think this deserves your attention. This is just over a year so please read my previous message. Have patience Nap, Matt already read your post and his just thinking for solution...:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:02 am 
Site Admin

I am in China since May 19 and have not read forums due to slow connection. The proper course is thru your dealer to our warranty / tech staff.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)