Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I think I really screwed up... What a way to make a first post about my new boat (2016 Papaya TI)... :cry:

Got the boat rigged up on the trailer and towed it from LA up to Big Bear this last week. We had the most amazing time with the kids and sailing on whats a rather low lake level for there. Just came back down last night at midnight (going over 8000' pass to come back) and left the boat strapped down to the trailer. This morning I went down to finish up loading and unstrap the boat to find both amas heavily deformed... I unscrewed the drain plugs and they sucked up a bunch of air, but stayed just as deformed. Right now we've put the plugs back in and have them laying out in the sun. Im hoping for good things, but Im fearing the worst. Even if they do come back out will the structural integrity be ok? I also looked at the hull on the trailer which is supporting it on long 2x4 running the length of the boat, and the daggerboard area has some interesting bends in areas, is this normal and Im now seeing problems everywhere in my head?

Thanks all for any input!

Joshua

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you strap the hull down on rigid bottom supports in can flatten the hull slightly, and any vertical braced sections, Even bouyancy foam, will not flatten equally leaving bumps and ripples.

Hull deformations can be reversed with heat and pressure. ways to exert pressure can range from jacks (carefully) and wedges inside, pressurizing with air through drain (dont seal it up and used compressed air as you dont want to burst it, filling with water with correctly placed supports. Gently does it, you dont want to go too far the other way

Deformations unless physical damage can be reversed. Minor ones are not worth worrying about they will correct themselves eventually when you stop doing what it was that is causing it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Pressure changes from significant altitude changes can really damage a hull if it is well sealed. I am a little surprised that it was that well sealed, but removing plugs while traveling is suggested.

There is a dent repair video that shows a pretty dramatic warp removed:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35313

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Seal the amas and boat up as best as you can in the morning when it is cool. Move the amas and boat in the sun with the hulls facing up. When the hull is too hot to touch from the hot sun, it should generate some internal air pressure and start smoothing out your dents. Maybe half a day in the hot sun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for the advice! It was a bit soul crushing to see all the deformation when I got out there yesterday morning. We put the amas in the sun sealed up as suggested and probably 98% of the deformation was gone by the time I got home. I went on to use the hot water method with them to smooth some of the rest out. Worked great.

The main hull is on the trailer still right now as I have to take it to the DMV for registration today, but I will be putting that out next to get and weirdness out too.

Thanks folks! Can't wait to get it out there again. I live near a lake that I could leave it in to play with regularly, but the slime built up so quick in the 2 weeks it was in that Im almost afraid to drop it back in!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

About 6000 ft elevation change I think!! You had good luck in that when the ama's were sealed you went from high elevation (low pressure) to low elevation (high pressure). The other way around... hmm. could have been worse as I dont know how much pressure those can withstand. We change elevation a lot here (Colorado) on the trailer and always check those plugs as they seem to make a good air tight seal.

Just reminded me also that there is a Hobie Adventure event in Colorado this next weekend. Grandby elevation is a little over 8000 ft.. If someone is coming from lower elevation, definitely let those ama plugs vent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same thing happen to the amas on my TI. We had the boat up at June Lake CA, at about 7400 feet for a week. I got home late at night and the next day i noticed the ama on one of my boats had caved in. I had no problem with the boats themselves as the front hatches do no seal very well. I used the open the drain valve in the cool morning air and then sealing it, then letting the sun heat the ama up several times and after a few weeks the ama was back to normal. I have noticed that just sitting in my driveway the amas have a lot of pressure on them from the sun during the day and then at night they must have quite a vacuum on them. This pressure differential cannot be good for them. I plan on keeping the ama drain plugs open when the boat is not in the water.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I store my with lengths of PVC pipes under the grooves at the bottom of the hull. Advice from kayaking Bob.
That way, I can store the TI right side up.