Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a townhouse on the ICW in Fort Lauderdale and we also have a 50' slip out back. I suppose I could mount a davit on the dock and add stairs down to the water. This might work http://www.mauripro.com/us/product/GAHLD61W34ARM.html if I can devise a way to mount it. Or I could spend a little more and mount this to one of the piers http://www.boatliftwarehouse.com/boat_l ... ft-davits/.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simple, your neighbor to the left has the right solution, just get what he has, just the right height and length to fit in your slip. Then add a winch to the back of that boat.
Problem solved. ( just kidding)
I've seen floating docks for jetski's that look to be foam sheets that you just drive the boat up on them (gets the boat out of the water), then just add a ladder to the side of the dock to get down and up. You would launch and retrieve the boat nearby (at a launch), then just keep it on the floating mat. I'm pretty sure you can't keep a TI in the water very long (about a week is max is the longest we have done, and it was hard on the boat), but up on the mat Probably doesn't matter how long as long as it's out of direct sunlight.
Sure you can get a davit winch and bring the boat all the way up and sit it on the dock, but it just seems to me that would be a big procedure everytime you want to go out.
Just make sure to bring the mast and mirage drives inside (never leave the mast in) when not in use. The mast can be dropped in from the dock (that's what we do when we stay at bluewater resort at mm13 near key west, they have high docks, we just keep the boat in the water parked at the dock, pull the mirage drives and mast at night, but we are usually only there a week or two (about max for storing a TI in the water (IMO)).
We do the same at Fiesta key resort (mm 79). They have mooring balls just offshore in thigh deep water, we just keep the TI there for a week or two at a time (max), we always take the mast and mirage drives out when we are not there. Never keep the mast in direct sunlight uncovered, the sail material cannot withstand the sunlight (just fyi).
I have a buddy who used to keep his AI in the water at his slip ( behind his big boat), his AI sank several times, and his boat looked to be 15 yrs old after 1-2 seasons (Florida sun). Even our TI after a week in the key west sun, the seats and mesh pockets are visibly faded (no place to hide from the sun). When at our other place (sarasota), we keep the boat in the garage (preferred).
Florida is great we can go out all year round, but there is a price (sun), especially with our Islands.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

delete double posted

Last edited by kennyrosen on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response. Are you suggesting something like this viewtopic.php?f=71&t=57778 ? I would also need a davit it get it out of the water and a cover to protect it. Unfortunately I don't have a garage so it will stored outside on the patio.

We live in the SF bay area and just bought the Fort Lauderdale place for vacations and a jumping off point for scuba around Florida and the Caribbean. We have a sailboat on the SF Bay and eventually when a retire in a couple of years will buy a powerboat for Florida. In the meantime i thought it would be fun to get a kayak to go around the ICW. First i was looking at a $700 tandem kayak. My wife has a bad back and when I saw Hobie has a couple of tandem kayaks with mirage drives that seemed perfect for us. Then I saw the TI and with its sail and wow.

Why can't you keep the TI in the water for more than a couple of weeks? does it fill up and eventually sink?

Last edited by kennyrosen on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats funny, thats pretty much exactly what we did ten yrs ago. I thought the same about the TI when it came out in 2010 (wow), we are now on our third TI, and sold all our powerboats, and other kayaks, and just use the TI's for pretty much everything under the sun now. We are also divers and split our time between Sarasota, and Key West, we are having an absolute blast. Yea we probably spend way too much time in the keys, and Disney (lol).
FE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been searching all around these forums
1) I have a (used)(barely) 2017 AI
2) I have concrete sea wall that varies 2-3 ft above MSL on a saltwater canal at south end 72ft wide
3) my “dock” is concrete cantilevered 5ft out
4) lots of ‘riprap’ on bottom
5) thinking about 5ft wide walkway parallel and level with sea wall, ~1ft above cantilevered dock, 20-24ft long on sea wall
6) thinking about a lift for AI to get out of saltwater and ease of enter exit on walkway
7) any thoughts?
8) I recall seeing pictures of an AI on a lift but cannot find anywhere
9) it’s a 1 mile walk to a launch ramp