Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha,

I ordered a trailer for my TI. $1300 which I can live with. Then I called Uhaul in Honolulu to get a quote on a ball and hitch with ball mount and wiring harness. $424!!!! :shock:

Anybody tow their TI/trailer with a medium sized sedan?

Thanks,

TC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a buddy here that pulls his with a motorcycle or his wife's Chrysler Sebring. If you're handy hitches are not that hard to install. Check Autoanything.com, that's where I got the hitch for my wife's Nissan Murano. I don't remember how much it was, maybe $200ish. 4 bolts later and it was installed. You can pick up a wiring harness for $20 from autozone.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.

Think I'll just keep it in the marina without the trailer. Got it in dry storage right near the water. I just move the hull half way into the water with the hobie wheels, then assemble it right in the water. Would be nice to move it around the island and sail various spots. Even just to Kailua a couple miles away, just so I can race Nohuhu :lol:

TC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tcul wrote:
Aloha,

I ordered a trailer for my TI. $1300 which I can live with. Then I called Uhaul in Honolulu to get a quote on a ball and hitch with ball mount and wiring harness. $424!!!! :shock:

Anybody tow their TI/trailer with a medium sized sedan?

Thanks,

TC

This ridiculous cost is probably due to a current tendency for manufacturers requiring software changes at the time of fitting a tow bar. Theoretically, various engine settings get changed due to the vehicle then potentially towing a big load.

Of course this is totally absurd given the relatively tiny weight of a trailer and TI.

My friend ran into the same BS, and simply bypassed it by purchasing another brand.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tony,

Another brand of car?

TC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tcul wrote:
Tony,

Another brand of car?

TC

Phew!, just another brand of towbar! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a pontiac solstice roadster we added a hitch reciever that we ordered on line from either Reese or Kurt, you just go to their web site type in your car make and model, they have kits for pretty much anything. Kit came with good instructions, the only tools needed was a socket set, it took less than an hr to install. I think the kit was around $140 bucks.
Some cars have wiring for trailers pre-ran, on our solstice I had to splice in the wires going to the tail light bulbs, and fish the wires down to the hitch. if your not handy with electrical, take it to a trailer place, actually if that $400 something you mention includes the reciever, mounting the reciever, and the electrics, that's a very fair price in my opinion, thats about what it would cost here on the mainland.
FE
Edit: now we have that hitch receiver we can use our receiver mounted bike rack on either vehicle , an added bonus. One thing about the solstice is the transmission is on the rear axle, meaning you only have room in the trunk for the convertible top , and maybe a purse and a few bottles of water that's it. We also have a luggage platform that we can now haul luggage on with either vehicle. So we can use that reciever for other things besides the boat, turned out to be money well spent. I don't think I would want to haul more than 1000 lbs though, our TI and trailer weighs a little over 400 lbs.
FE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I tow my TI on a trailex with a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI manual transmission (where's my money VW?). No problems, easy driving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TC would really have to be super legal to haul the trailer on/off the Marine base. Also, trailer safety checks and registration get pretty tough around here, so shortcuts can catch up with you.

One reason the tow-package options on new cars are not cheap is because they can include heavy duty alternators, cooling systems, the receiver and all the wiring. (I could not locate a tow-equipped SUV at the time of purchase and later I looked into getting one).

The receiver and wiring kit can be had for only $200-300. The receiver is not to much of a bugger for 2 people to install. Putting it on a rack is the sane way to do it.

But the wiring is complete PIA, requiring you to gut the rear half of the vehicle and run power to the controller unit from the battery. That is a long, meticulous job, even on a rack. That's why the labor quotes are so high.

Too bad no one has devised a wireless link trailer signal kit with modules that could talk between the engine compartment and trailer. It would be a hot seller. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We pull ours with a 2012 Fusion and it works great. Ordered the hitch from Amazon for about $130 with harness and all. I don't remember the brand, but it's a known brand and not a cheapie. Took about an hour to install, a little longer to route the wiring harness and make it neat and tidy and it works great! I built my own HF trailer and I can barely tell the TI is back there. I've got a picture somewhere but i'll have to hunt it down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i pull mine with a 1976mgb. receiver hitch installed for about $250, involved custom cutting and welding; nothing off the shelf, wonder why? did the wiring to the plug myself.