Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Darn hobie dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so now we have a 2016 TI and a 2013. I can't bear the though of leaving these outside, but the garage is getting rather full. Right now all four amas are hanging on one wall, where our kayaks used to stay. The two main hulls are the problem. I was thinking of using two furniture dollies, one under each cross bar to hold one boat upside down and then PVC pipe between that boat and the other one on top, right side up. Is this too much load on the lower boat? I would like to stack the two hulls some way to reduce floor space. Hanging them from the ceiling is not an option, my joists are not really rated to carry a load.
Any ideas?
TIA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has stated that their kayaks can be stored on their sides. This especially true with TIs, as they have a long side which is not curved (looking at them in plan view).

If you buy some closed-cell foam yoga mats (cheap as chips), you can avoid scratching the hull sides.

I once met a fellow who was preparing to operate a TI convoy adventure touring business (which regrettably never got off the ground due to endless bureaucratic restrictions), and he kept ALL FOUR TI's on their sides on the one trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. I thought about putting them on the ground sideways but ended up with a different solution. One is on dollies, upside down. Two dollies under the crossbars and two more at the very ends of the hull. Then I made a set of shelves and bent some old sunfish spars to fit in the grooves of the other boat. So that one is on the shelves with the load carried by aluminum tube over the whole length. I hammered flats under the drain ports too.
This worked out well, and I can use the tube to set up a new trailer. Truly tired of the hobie plastic supports, they do not hold up well. Now I am trying to go thru the crap in the garage and thin it out a little.