Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Cradle for Cart
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does Hobie sell the cradle for the big beach cart for the TI?

I have the large beach cart for my PA 17T and I want to modify it and put the TI cradle on the bottom so o can just flip it around depending on which yak I have.

Does that make sense?

Also looking for wheel ideas i have the eez beach wheels and i want to put some street wheels like bicycle wheels. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: TI Cradle for Cart
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is this the part# 80046121 i am looking for?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, you are able to purchase the cart cradle separate. I have the TI cradle cart with the heavy duty Tuff tires. Works well with a rigged TI. Tires are great. I rarely use it anymore and find it much easier to just use the c-tug without the AMAS on. Getting the tuff cart up under the TI with the AMAS on takes some strength. All depends on where you launch. With that said, my trailer is only set up for hull only mode.

Tire wise- Im not sure if the Tuff tires would be tall enough to have two sets of cradles on either side. I can measure mine later for you- The bar width on the 17T cart may be narrower as well. Id stay away from inflatable type tires- they always went flat for me (many custom AI carts over the years).

The key to your idea depends on the spacing of the cradle attachment points. As long as the are different, you should be able to mount both.

I believe you may now be local to VA beach. You are welcome to borrow my cart & measure away. (p.s. I sold my 17T for the TI) Feel free to PM me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool yeah i am in Poquoson and the plan is to leave the ti on the cart and bicycle it down to the landing in my neighborhood (about 7 houses away). I want to make a custom handle (with additional smaller wheels and maybe a cradle up front too). Don't know just yet just spitballing.

Might just make a whole new cart/bike trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I kind of gave up trying to haul around my fully loaded TI with the AMA's on. I leave the AKA bars on, (I just tie them up with a bungy). Once I get the boat to the water I just plug in the AMA's, I just carry them together down to the water. My goto cart is the HD cart with the tuff tires, I also have a trax2 but never use it.
The TI hull by itself is no more difficult to roll around than our old Oasis was, ( we only buy tandem kayaks, which are all bulkier and heavier than singles).
Often when out and about , (we travel a lot) we leave the AMA's and extras back at the campsite, and just use the boat as a great kayak, (fastest and best we have ever owned).
FE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks FE, yeah we have kids so tramps are a must. If i am going solo its normally to fish so i'll be in the PA.

Just looking for a rig to be able to bike my TI to my neighborhood landing and lock the bike to a tree.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We also pull our TI with a bike or scooter (buddy 150) down to the beach sometimes when we are at the key west house. I was unable to pull ours with a bike with a scupper cart, (just too hard to pull, and With no bearings in the axles, I suspect your speed is limited to walking speed.
What we did instead is made our regular trailer into duo purpose trailer/launch cart, by making the trailer in two pieces.
I bought a cheap harbor freight 40x48 cargo trailer ($140 bucks on sale), then made my own extension from alum, the extension is held on by two pins. When we want to use as a launch cart we just slide the boat back on the trailer so it is balanced over the wheels, then tie 1 strap to hold it, I then pull the two pins and can easily walk a few blocks if needed, (it rolls very easily on the hard trailer tires with axle bearings, we can also pull easily with my wifes beach cruiser bike, or to behind our scooter (probably not legal, but they are pretty lax in key west). Our boat is fully rigged with the ama's ,(folded in), all three sails laid down on the hull, and the Twin Honda outboards tilted up, along with all gear (ie,,, coolers, scuba tanks, etc), just make sure you turn all the corners very wide. We have a bowsprit on our TI, that makes things much easier. Both the bike and the scooter have luggage racks, I just clip the D-ring on the tip of the bowsprit then hook to the racks with a carabiner.
The trailer/ launch cart actually pulls fairly easily thru the soft white sand at Higgs beach. I can get to the water and launch by myself, I just pull the launch cart and bike into the parking lot when I'm out.
Getting the fully rigged boat from the water to the parking lot is another story (up hill), I usually need a little help.
We don't use the trailer very often this way, (only a couple times in 3yrs), but we have the option. Of course the trailer as a launch cart is way heavier than just a launch cart, I'm not sure but it seems like 80-90 lbs ( the launch cart part).
We have both a trax2 cart and an HD cart with the hard foam wheels, the hard foam wheels are way easier to pull, the wheeleez tire pop on us all the time and I've had to replace many trying to roll my fully rigged boat anywhere (probably tipping 300 lbs). I have no idea if the larger wheeleez tires are better and easier to roll, but my experience with wheeleez tires has not been good, (the smaller ones).
Just tryin to help
FE

Post subject: TI Cradle for Cart
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was looking at the HF trailer but it it doesn't work with my trailering solution.

This is my trailer:

We have sold the roof top tent and the TI will be on top of the PA. Might swap them around if we find we aren't using the PA.

I want to mod (or start all over) and build a trailer like this:

That will be a winter project i guess.

So in short the trailer will be too heavy by the time i am done with it.

So 80% of the time i'll be at my neighborhood ramp so the TI will live on the dolly in the garage and only be put on the trailer for winter storage or if we decide to go somewhere.

So i am thinking something like this but with my beach cradle as the axle:

I have a set of hand truck wheels w/ bearings I am going to try. But i need to see if Hobie sells just the cradle off the big cart as i already have the big cart for the PA.

Also looking at making the cart longer with PVC bunks if i do end up leaving it on the cart most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where is the best place to buy a yakima rack and roll trailer? Looks like it nice, light and easily disassembled. Maybe that is the answer... albeit the expensive way.

Would be nice to have two trailers a double and a single anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Appomattox River Company should sell them/ REI as well.

I just purchased the SUT‑450‑M6, beefed it it a bit for the TI. My 8yr old can push the trailer around with the TI!! Purchased via ACK with coupon. Wouldn't work for your needs, however it is super light!! I stuck with the 8" tires as I dont travel far distances.

Ive been out with folks who use the Yakima Rack&Roll. All thought that the Trailex would have been a better choice based on the low lifting requirements. Yakima is quite high for a fully assembled TI.