Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This video from Derek Kennedy got me thinking about the most ideal storage (hoist) and trailering solution (for me) for the tandem island.

The only thing I would want to change about his concept for long term storage would be to trade out the Hobie cradles for the more supportive PVC solution that many people on here talk about.

Instead of having two cross bars like he has, I was thinking I would have 3 -5 Super Strut crossbars which would have the PVC pipes mounted and running the entire length of the boat and amas similar to this picture that TI_Tom put up.

That image illustrates the PVC configuration for a tandem island with 5 cross bars.

The following video is almost exactly what I want to do in terms of the super struts being used for the cross bars: 3 super struts with eyelets for the hoist connections. I just want my super strut platform to be easily detachable so it can lift off of the collapsible trailer.

The difference would be that the entire super strut/PVC platform would lift off of the Harbor Freight fold-able trailer like Derek's Video and become the permanent storage platform. Then I could collapse and store the trailer like Derek, but have a more supportive permanent storage platform for the lift. I would just need to devise the best way to quickly and securely connect the storage platform to the trailer after lowering it in place. Probably some Ubolt variant.

Any thoughts on this concept would be appreciated. Would 3 - 5 super struts be enough support (assuming each had a lift attachment on either side), or would I need to run 1 or two full length pieces of super strut parallel to the PVC to give the platform more structure.

The other option would be to use the smallest, lightest trailer possible and lift the entire thing up to the garage ceiling. It is a rather low ceiling, however, so I'm afraid the wheels might hang down too low.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm flatter that you used my picture. :D

I think you would be good with 3-5 super struts. I probably could have gotten away with just using 2 in front of the original galvanized cross members, but I tend to over-engineer things. I just spaced them out similar to the original cross members. The super strut stuff is pretty strong because of the c shape. Having one central super strut member would keep it from sagging in the middle though since you are going to lift from the corners.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah having a center super strut beam might tighten everything up. The other option would be to also add eyelets to the center cross beam, but then I would have to fuss with 6 connectors and 6 lines on the hoist.

Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jkicker,
I am using the Garage Gator 220lb hoist for long-term storage (Winter) and I just use 2" wide lifting straps. During the summer I have it on the trailer in the driveway with the Hobie Cover. When storing it for Winter, I lift it up and then flip it over. Per Hobie manual, that is an acceptable means to store with the straps. This is just the hull. I sit the ama's on top along with the sail.

Straps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XPN31U0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That looks like a really neat hoist system! I was sort of imagining that I wouldn't have to take the ama's off with my system, but I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I like how that system allows for additional storage on top.

Thanks for your reply