Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winch Assist
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone selected and used either a battery powered or electric drill driven winch to retrieve a Tandem Island across a sandy beach with an incline ? This would be for an extended vacation use and I have a winch anchor spot accessible.

I use a Hobie Beach Dolly and I know a third bow wheel has been tried previously. A setup like this would give me freedom to not ask for help moving the TI up the incline and back close to my trailer (stored on the beach).

thanx,
bill

Post subject: Re: Winch Assist
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cooldudecaptain wrote:
Has anyone selected and used either a battery powered or electric drill driven winch to retrieve a Tandem Island across a sandy beach with an incline ? This would be for an extended vacation use and I have a winch anchor spot accessible.

I use a Hobie Beach Dolly and I know a third bow wheel has been tried previously. A setup like this would give me freedom to not ask for help moving the TI up the incline and back close to my trailer (stored on the beach).

thanx,
bill

Hey Bill,

I have a 2500 lbs automobile winch bolted into the deck of my beachside patio that I use to pull my TI up from the beach. Depending on the time of year I have drop off of anything up to a couple of feet. I use a Hobie dolly with tuff wheels rather than beach wheels. I tie my bow rope to both sides of the front x-bar then run it through a shackle on the bow. I attach the bow rope to the winch rope. I haven't gotten around to changing out the winch wire rope for paracord but that is on my to do list. Even with a winch I find it much easier with 2 people - 1 at the winch and 1 at the boat.

To power the winch I wheel an automobile 12v battery to the patio.

If you're still struggling, don't forget you can quickly remove the amas, akas, outboard, gear....... basically anything heavy and that makes a heck of a difference.

Cheers
John