Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car topping a TI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello!

My wife and I live in LA - but road trip most of the summer and we would like to bring the kayak with us. I am comfortable driving with a trailer - but my wife is not. I don't want to get saddle with 6k of driving - so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/tips/suggestions about car topping on a Ford Escape.

We don't have a roof rack, so we will have to purchase one from Thule or Yakima. While we are both reasonably fit, I am not opposed to buying the kayak lift assists to help load.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Car topping a TI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When we are pulling the travel trailer the hobie is on a ladder rack mounted to our silverado pickup. When doing local sailing we use a trailer. I can say, having done both get a trailer. It is faster and easier to unload a trailer. When cartopping, consider this:
Where do you keep the AMAs, mirage drives, paddles?
How much longer is the boat and mast than the car? We went from a mid size truck to full size because of this.
How long does it take to put the boat together/take apart?
You might also need a dolly to move the assembled boat.
What about the potential to forget to pack something? A mirage drive left on the shore is an expensive mistake.
You and your wife should try lifting the main hull from the ground to over your head, then walk a few feet.

We haven't timed it but I would guess the unloading thing takes 20-30 minutes. So every sail is an hour of prep time. On the trailer it is 5 minutes to load or unload.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi - I thought about car-topping my TI before purchasing it with a trailer, and I'm now very pleased that I did.
Several reasons - 1. it's heavy & awkward, even in parts - I'm a big guy but hauling it up onto the roof would get tiresome really quick; 2. salt water on the car; 3. possible damage from low trees (or the long overhangs) due to height & relative short length of my 4x4; 4. we also use a roof rack on the trailer, and fill it with all the kit - we just wouldn't have the room for all that stuff in the car; 5. it lives on the trailer at home & easy to move around to get it out the way when needed.
I can think of few more, but you get the idea!
Re. towing - it's an easy tow, apart from the length. However I understand your issue - my missus isn't keen on driving with it, but happy enough on the motorways.
The only way I can imagine car-topping would be tolerable is if I only had to load it at the start and end of a holiday, i.e. if the rest of the time I could launch direct from our destination just using a beach trolley.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't think you will find a roof rack for your escape that would be rated for the weight of the TI. Most roof racks are listed for 150 or 165 lbs. The main hull of the TI is listed as 130 lbs on the Hobie site, plus, Amas, plus said you are going to be overweight. Consider then, you are probably filling the car with the seats, mirage drives and akas.

Probably easier to try to get your wife some experience driving the trailier on the open road and get her comfortable with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just wanted to follow-up and thank everyone for your expertise and recommendations. After thinking about all the valuable advice, we'll be getting a trailer. While my wife doesn't love the idea, we both think we'll be happier with this decision in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess it depends on how fit you are, and how well you set up your roof-top for the Hobie.

I put a TI up on top of our Land Rover Defender, which is 2.3 metres high to the floor of the rack. Hobie cradles fixed to the rack, with a roller setup on the back of the rack. Lift the front up onto the rollers, then lift the back up and slide into place. Amas go up either side, sail on the right side on the outside, all tied down with 2 or 3 ratchet tie-downs.

I can post some pics if anybody is interested to see what this looks like...

I detest towing trailers, so much prefer this method.

Whatever you work out, enjoy it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've towed a trailer for years and never had a problem.

Putting a TI on a car roof is beyond my pay grade.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jdmcmah wrote:
Hello!

My wife and I live in LA - but road trip most of the summer and we would like to bring the kayak with us. I am comfortable driving with a trailer - but my wife is not. I don't want to get saddle with 6k of driving - so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/tips/suggestions about car topping on a Ford Escape.

We don't have a roof rack, so we will have to purchase one from Thule or Yakima. While we are both reasonably fit, I am not opposed to buying the kayak lift assists to help load.

Thank you!

Be prepared for your fuel mileage to get crushed. That will act like an air brake on the top of your car. And I would bring extra straps, rope, whatever to double and triple strap that thing down.

Also, why not try a practice run or two loading the kayak with your wife? That way you could see if you are good or if you need to buy the kayak lift assist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
I've towed a trailer for years and never had a problem.

Putting a TI on a car roof is beyond my pay grade.

Keith

I've towed for years without a problem as well, I just prefer not to!

My pay grade is so low that I'm willing to do anything! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Woundup wrote:
jdmcmah wrote:
Hello!

Thank you!

Be prepared for your fuel mileage to get crushed. That will act like an air brake on the top of your car. And I would bring extra straps, rope, whatever to double and triple strap that thing down.

Also, why not try a practice run or two loading the kayak with your wife? That way you could see if you are good or if you need to buy the kayak lift assist.

Yes, there will be an impact on fuel consumption - not sure about crushed, though... with the hobie pointing fore/aft, it's going to be pretty aerodynamic. When it's strapped to the top of a Defender, the Defender become your weak point in terms of aerodynamics anyway...!

If towing a trailer, be prepared for the additional weight... although most trailers that Hobies are put onto are pretty light, I'd wager that if you have more than a handful of hills, or a few stop/starts, your fuel economy is going to be treated as badly as putting it on the roof.

Appropriate application of the right foot is always the most influencing factor anyway.

But I definitely agree with a practice run or two. Even just lifting it up and about will give you an idea of how manageable it will be for you.

I'm certainly no strongman or giant (180cm, 85kg of pure muscle/fat), and getting either end up to 2.3m isn't too difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Having a go at sharing from Google Photos here... this album below should be publicly shared, if the individual photos don't come out.
These were taken before I put some rollers on the back of the rack, which made the process even easier.
Sail now travels on the right side of the roof rack, not the left - this lets me get up the ladder on the back easier.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6dw1fs6btPdzrB6K7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Landy - fits better on a 110. Mine is a 90 so the overhangs are too long for comfort, also it wouldn't take me long to rip the rudder (or other parts) off on the narrow tree-lined lanes we drive down to access slips - the roof gets scraped enough as it is! Trailer not ideal on the lanes either but it follows within the track of the Landy in all but the tightest of turns.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks great! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You have the cradles mounted up there. What's the spacing between them, and how did you mount them to your crossbars?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a "Frontrunner" roof rack, which has bars running left-to-right, with channels that you can drop bolts into and slide along bolts sticking up through the holes in the cradles, the nuts on top tightened up.

I was able to cheat a bit, as I had a 2400mmx1200mm 3mm thick sheet of chequerplate aluminiun riveted to the rack (makes a great viewing platform, can pop 3 or 4 camp chairs up there). I simply drilled holes in the aluminium to drop bolts through, lined up with the holes in the cradles, nut & bolt and sorted.

Don't need the aluminium at all, though - most racks have this channel built into them these days, you just have to find the right hex-head bolt that fits in and doesn't spin, and you can attach the cradles easily.