Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Hobiefam,

So I have a particular circumstance that I was wondering if anyone else here could help guide me...

I just bought a new 2020 Tandem Island and I’m curious on the transport situation...below are the facts:

1. I live a few blocks from the beach, and I bought the Hobie Trax 2-30 with the plastic 3-scoop cradle to hold the bottom of the kayak. Will this damage the boat? I’ve been reading such mixed reviews on this topic.

I was thinking of just walking my kayak over to the beach for launch.

2. I have a Tesla Model 3, so the roof is glass. Tesla makes a roof rack that can support 150lbs. My understanding is that the Tandem Island fully rigged is 220lbs, so I likely won’t be throwing it all up on my roof. I’ll need to disassemble and just store the kayak, sail and amas on the roof.

However, I don’t have the official Tesla roof rack, I have the SeaSucker bars that suction to the glass. I don’t know the weight limit of the glass since it’s not really posted anywhere (unless someone knows?)...so what I would be looking at is a kayak roof rack and maybe the Rhino bar side loader.

Any recommendation on a roof rack for my particular scenario? A trailer isn’t an option for me at this stage. Of note, I wouldn’t be driving more than 10 minutes with the kayak on the roof so I’m looking for something that won’t damage the kayak but also secure it to my roof given the weight.

Many thanks for any guidance here! Excited to get sailing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not simply use a trailer?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not everyone has room for a trailer either in their driveway or where the launch spaces are. So parking a car with a trailer isn’t an option for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a SR+ and a compass duo. The glass isn't safe to hold weight, it has to be the factory mounts or an aftermarket rack. There were some reported problems with the early factory roof racks chipping the glass under the mounts. I decided to just go with a trailer myself and forego a roof rack. The Compass Duo, that's the two seater, is much too heavy to lift on the roof solo. But I can prep for launch and drive with it upside right on short trips. Yakima has a roof rack that is designed to fit the Model 3 but it can't be left installed. Walking the TI might be simpler.