Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings. I am sorry if this subject has been posted before, but I could not find previous posts relating to this question.

I have ordered the TI and am waiting on delivery. While I wait, I am looking into cart alternatives to move the TI from either the back of my truck or a trailer when I cannot launch at a ramp.

I do not like the looks of the current beach dolly as it is too big to just pack up and take with after launch. Also, images I have seen look like the main axle has bent. I imagine this is possible if the weight is only concentrated on the center of the long axle when the amas are out while wheeling around.

I have seen the scupper type carts in videos, but have not seen them for sale anywhere. Only the beastly beach cart with the full cradle.

I have also seen folks using the scupper carts with a mini cradle on Youtube, but have not seen them for sale. I was wondering if this is because of problems with resting all the weight on the scupper location in the hull, or just because they are not made anymore since the large cart is available.

I guess the real question is, have any of you had problems using the scupper cart, especially the one with the main hull cradle only. If I need to I can order the parts and fabricate one with the 16" wheeleze and a custom fit cradle to fit the bottom of the main hull.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Darin
Central Florida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Darin,
We purchased the Hobie scupper cart (the one with the hull former & balloon tyres) to move the TI between trailer & water, then carry it inverted behind the rear seat so we can haul-out on beaches that we visit.
Takes up a bit of space behind me, but as we tend to beach-hop this is acceptable. If you were spending all day in the water you could just leave it behind in your vehicle.
Works fine over all surfaces if you keep the tyres pumped up.
If only carting a short distance, we use the rear scupper holes as you can easily fit & remove whilst on the trailer.
If carting further, consider placing centrally to balance the weight, then move to rear when at waters edge - much easier to remove from here when afloat.

Only issue is reinserting it when you are still afloat - takes 2 of you & a bit of practice - see another recent thread on here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Darin,

When I bought my TI 4 years ago the dealer threw in a HOBIE HEAVY DUTY PLUG-IN CART. It works well getting the TI off the trailer (sans Ama's), around the parking lot and any hard surfaces. Sadly it's not meant for sand you will need the beach tire unit for that and no, the beach tires will not fit on the heavy duty plug-in cart.

It's understandable though different surfaces require different tires, sorry Shipmate but there you have it. If you're going to do sand Redkite is right on with the Hobie Trax plug-in with cradle.

Cheers

Nick