Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How comfortable would you be storing your Adventure or Tandem Island in an outdoor, gated, dry-boat storage yard, sitting on a trailer or dolly?

For about a year, I kept a sailing dinghy in just such a place, but it was a fairly unpopular and inexpensive boat, so I wasn't worried about security or theft.
There also wasn't a lot you could easily remove from the boat and walk away with. The rudder, tiller and boom were about the only things you could just walk up and take. Not so with the Hobie Adventure design.

These trimarans come apart in countless places, super easily, and the parts are crazy-expensive to replace.
This has me a little worried about storing it in an open, outdoor setting, even though it's gated and in a, so far, pretty safe area.
I have never seen a AT or TI in the yard where I kept my sailboat.

Every time I've seen a picture of someone's stored "Island", it's been in a garage or backyard of a house. I never see signs of them being kept in exposed or easy to access areas. Even my local kayak shop keeps them under lock and key when not in use. Are these things popular with boat thieves?

Of course replies to this sort of question are going to be widely varied, based on each person's geographical location and the kind of neighborhood they're in. In my case, I'm in the SF Bay Area, on the Peninsula in Redwood City. The yard I use is at the end of a dead-end street with mostly sailing clubs and a few tech company buildings on it, so it doesn't get a ton of traffic or random passersby.

Still, there's no way for me to know if the boat is safe until I drive across town, 25 miles away, and look at it.

-T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would do the following:

1. Cable Lock - keep honest people honest
2. Cover - ignore whatever that is under that weathered dirty tarp
3. Insurance - worst case I am just out my deductible

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd agree with Peter's points.
As a minimum you should take the mirage drives home with you - they are the most valuable part, and probably easiest to sell-on.
Personally I would also take the mast & vantage seats if you are able to, because without those (& the drives) the rest of the boat is a bit useless and would be difficult to sell on without buying/stealing replacements.
Then leave the rest to insurance, and try not to worry about it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, had that one in my head but my fingers didn’t get the message...

Peter

1. Remove Valuables - can’t steal what ain't there
2. Cable Lock - keep honest people honest
3. Cover - ignore whatever that is under that weathered dirty tarp
4. Insurance - worst case I am just out my deductible