Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Heya. I recently realised a dream of getting myself a Hobie Island kayak. I fact I got two plus a trailer on a great deal. Problem is that it's hard to get someone to come with me and I really don't want to leave a single kayak unattended on the trailer while I go out. I wanted some way to roof mount a single boat on my mid-sized SUV.

The trailer came with 2 sets of good carriers already.

To start with I modified the bolt fastener to a clip so I could remove them easily if needed. Makes the mounts removeable and makes the trailer easier to convert back to a standard trailer if I need to move some junk.

I was going to use some timber or PVC piping as a brace so the Hobie wouldn't flex as much on the roof. Then I thought an Aluminium bar would be stiffer and lighter. THEN I realised I had materials already on hand. Using 1/2 of an extension ladder plus a boat roller I got off eBay plus a few bits of hardware from the local Bunnings - I got to work.

Roller lines up nicely.

With the aid of my neighbour (because my shop was currently out of commission for replacement) we fabricated up a few brackets. I had to trim the width of the roller a bit because I was stupid and drilled the hole too far down. It was easier to sand the roller down than refabricate a new set of brackets. The spindle is held in with pins so I can easily remove it later on should it turn out I need my ladder back.

To keep everything easily dismantlable (if there's such a word) I'm just using ratchet and friction straps to hold everything together. Mounts strapped to the brace.

The whole brace strapped to my roof racks.

The roller is just to take the weight off the kayak so that it doesn't rest or rub against the car.

Kayak strapped to the car. I'd pull it to the rear of the car, then forward till the nose lays beside the rear wheel, then lift up the nose and rest it on the roller. Then from behind I lift the rear of the kayak up and push it forward onto the brace. It's heavy as all hell but it is do-able solo. I've learned that I need a stretchy strap at the front and possibly the back to prevent bouncing. But apart from that it works great.

Does the job. Now I can get out a bit more. Pity I go back to work next week :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice work! Ladders make a great support for the boat. Scroll down a few and you can see how I used one to make loading and unloading easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice work!

In terms of it being as heavy as hell... are you lifting it up with the akas/amas attached (like shown in the pic)? If so, you could contemplate separating them for the roof-topping exercise.

I put our Tandem Island (yours is an Adventure Island?) on the top of our 2.35m-high Defender. No way I'd be able to get it up there with the akas/amas attached, but I removed them and it's plenty easy enough. The amas go up either side after the main hull, and the akas go either in the car, or strapped separately in the seat well (when I'm pressed for room in the car, such as on camping trips).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ya, Mounting it with the amas attached. The mast strapped onto the hull too.

I know it makes it heavier but it holds together better. If I couldn't lift it, I'd probably do it differently but I can make do. Lift with the knees and all that.

If I have one issue it would be that the end result is so high that it's a little difficult to push forward. Or back. I might try attaching a long pull strap to the front and back - it could double as the front and rear tiedowns.