Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long or Short Trailer?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been looking at used trailers trying to decide if there's any advantage to a long vs short trailer. Long being one greater than the AI, short being one where the AI hangs over the end. I like the idea of a long trailer to help prevent another driver from rear-ending the boat. Any advantage to a shorter trailer, like one for a jet ski.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I prefer to leave my AI & TI on the trailer, thus I like to have as much support as possible. I dont feel comfortable with more than ~3.5ft hanging off of the back. My rule of thumb: make sure the rear scuppers are supported.

You can get away with a shorter trailer for transport, however if you leave it on the short trailer for any period of time, make sure you add rear support.

I used to use a Trailex SUT-200 for my TI (such a great little light trailer). When in rest I had a perfect sized end table that I would place under the rear with a little pool noodle. Never had any issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

VaBeach1 wrote:
I prefer to leave my AI & TI on the trailer, thus I like to have as much support as possible. I dont feel comfortable with more than ~3.5ft hanging off of the back. My rule of thumb: make sure the rear scuppers are supported.

You can get away with a shorter trailer for transport, however if you leave it on the short trailer for any period of time, make sure you add rear support.

I used to use a Trailex SUT-200 for my TI (such a great little light trailer). When in rest I had a perfect sized end table that I would place under the rear with a little pool noodle. Never had any issues.

Good info. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A trailer long enough to give support to the scuppers means a heavier trailer. In an accident the boat will get hurt, trailers are not designed to take an impact. PVC pipe is the answer for support instead of the silly hobie cradles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
PVC pipe is the answer for support

This HAS to be done properly. Too many folks are doing this with stiff PVC pipes and that loads the scuppers... and that damages the boats by pushing up the scuppers into the cockpit floor. You need to have them bend to the shape of the hull and spread the load along the length. Also... DO NOT tension down a kayak on PVC bunks or even the cradles. Light tension and add spring lines for fore and aft restriction of movement if needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, I thought notching or heating and collapsing the pipe under the scuppers was common knowledge by now, or at least common sense. If it is notched the boat almost clicks into place when the scuppers are in the slot. When the pipe is heated and collapsed the feel is less obvious but still noticeable.
There is a use for the hobie cradles though. I cut them up and use the outer portions to locate the amas. Once the snow has melted and it is sailing season up north I will be doing youtube videos of the trailer setup and my ladder rack slide mount system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Quote:

This HAS to be done properly. Too many folks are doing this with stiff PVC pipes and that loads the scuppers... and that damages the boats by pushing up the scuppers into the cockpit floor. You need to have them bend to the shape of the hull and spread the load along the length. Also... DO NOT tension down a kayak on PVC bunks or even the cradles. Light tension and add spring lines for fore and aft restriction of movement if needed.

Thank you Matt. I ordered the cradles with the AI. I intend to leave the akas/amas attached to the boat and on the trailer when stored, as I've seen in some videos. This is the first I've read about the possible damage to the hull if using PVC runners, which I hadn't planned on installing on the trailer since I'll have cradles. Is there an official Hobie video regarding how to properly store/transport an AI on a trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

quattroguy wrote:
mmiller wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, I thought notching or heating and collapsing the pipe under the scuppers was common knowledge by now, or at least common sense.

Common knowledge or sense to someone who doesn't even have a boat in their possession yet?