Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been storing my adventure island upside down, but it has been very hard to get it right side up onto the cart to wheel to my driveway.

My plan is to hang it upside up, with the cart loosely attached underneath it, so all I have to do is lower it and go. The cart has two parallel PVC pipes that fit in the ^s of the hull.

I fashioned two 6-8" wide straps out of carpet that the kayak sits on. A few questions:

1. Are these wide enough, or should I go wider? I could probably do a couple feet wide if necessary. I was originally thinking of using the fabric sling from fabric desk chairs.

2. Are two straps sufficient? I could also put a strap on the cart and have that also support the kayak, though that would make it more complex.

3. How far apart should the straps be? Right now the way I'm trying it, the two straps are 78" apart. Looking at it, it seems like it might be too wide apart. The aka inserts are 57" apart -- that might be a better location to have the straps?

4. What does hobie say about hanging kayaks upside up?

5. I plan to lay the amas atop the kayak, which would add some more weight. Is this a bad idea?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure what year boat you have, so this may not apply. It's from the 2021 ownre's manual.

Storage Recommendations
Storing your boat upright with properly fitting cradles is highly recommended.
Storing your boat upside down on crossbars or hanging (main hull only) from wide strapping are other great ways to store the boat.