Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey guys,

Well, I've been seriously considering finding a galvanized boat trailer that is about 85" wide (outside-to-outside) fenders and anywhere from 15 to 17' long as a starting foundation for a side-by-side fully outfitted AI setup. I'd like to hear from anyone that has done this? I really don't see much about such setup. I know two AI's can seem a little embellishing but one is an 08' given to me from a family member and the other I picked up used which is a 2013. Anyway, this is the only retail info I've seen about such setup: https://pathspeakspaddles.com/shop/hobi ... er-double/

Reason for this drive of mine is because currently both are on a utility trailer with a upper T rack holding the AMA's and the AKAs are in their bags stowed in the bed of the trailer. Once I arrive at the launch location I often still use a launch ramp but both the time and energy it take to setup is the big killer for me. I'd rather just back them into the water with the AMA/AKA's on and actually put the sails in prior to backing down too. This would save at least 20 mins plus energy.

So a few quandaries that I was hoping to get out of the way. You can see a reference video listed below.

- Why can't I get either set of my AMAs to fold in parallel to the kayak like I see in so many videos? Are these videos just showing them at certain angles where they just look parallel or what? You can see this in my video below.

- Spacing needed if I remove the rear aka and allow the ama to rest more parallel to the hull: 83" plus 6" total spacing across amas and between each kayak so 89" total needed when rear aka is removed and AMA's situated parallel to the hull

- Spacing needed if I don't remove the rear aka: 96" pls 6" total spacing across amas and between each kayak so 102" total needed

- I hope I'm not creating a monster here. For instance, my double wide gate is 97" wide and I find it okay to back up the 74" wide utility trailer through it. Now I know it's going to be a little more tricky backing up an 89" wide setup, it will be A LOT tighter.

- Also, in events where I might want to take only the kayaks and not the AMA's/AKA's of course now I'm having to un-install them from the kayak. Will this be possible when resting on cradles etc.?

- So any reason why I should not have the rear AKA disconnected because having these connected makes this setup wider than my 97" gate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I realize this is an old post. I can only answer one question: It is very easy to connect or disconnect the amas while on my trailer. They lift up and extend easily. But with your set up, the inside akas and amas would not be accessible.