Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie cover 72058...?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are the hobie covers worth it? My new to me AI is going to need to stay outside a bunch. Right now I just use a Cheap 10x20 tarp. Wondering about the quality of the hobie cover and if it fits with the AI rigged and ready to go other that the mast/sail. Also is it worth my time to add a piece of 4 Inch pipe to the trailer to store the mast in. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

The mast can lay on the deck under the cover. The PVC could also be a good idea.

Covers are sacrificial. They absorb and reflect UV to keep your boat nice. The covers are a better fit and easier to install than a generic tarp.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

not many pics or info on the covers I can find. I for sure expected at least a couple youtube videos. I am assuming the cover will fit over the rigged AI, amas and all? ad it will work with it on my Malone Microsport trailer? Thanks in advance

Ease of use is definitely a plus and putting the tarp on and bungying it all down takes a lot more time than i would assume the hobie cover takes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Covers have to be fairly generic in order to be inexpensive. You certainly can contact a local canvas shop and get a quote but, trust me, you won't like the answer.

I'm puzzled why you'd want to cover a "rigged" AI. It takes all of 10-15s to drop the mast and lay it on the yak. Once you do that, a square - good quality; i.e. 10+ mil - vinyl tarp will keep your boat protected for a few years. Just don't drive with the cover on :-)

I have both a Getaway, a couple of AIs and a couple of iTrek 9. I get the Hobie cover for the Getaway because I don't want to drop the mast every time and it's easier to use the fitting cover. I use rectangular tarps for the AI (16 x 20 to go over the entire trailer with 2 AIs), and I'm still looking for suitable bag for the boards as none of the generic ones fit and Hobie hasn't come up with anything - Hobie are you listening?

So in your case, drop the mast and get a tarp - easy-peasy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess fully rigged means different things when you are talking a sailing vessel as opposed to just say a normal hobie kayak. I will for sure be dropping the mast. was just meaning , seat, aka, amas etc. was thinking the hobie cover was going to be simpler and quicker. I'll stick to my $10 tarp for now. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the hobie cover has the undoubt advantage to be perfectly shaped to cover the hull and the amas. as for any other Hobie accessory it's incredibly expansive. consider that if u keep your boat under the sun the cover is mandatory and that cover will not last much more than 5 or 6 years.
a much cheper option is to buy a fabric cover ot also a plastic cover but not the very thin and light ones that will last maybe few weeks. I suggest you heavy fabric or heavy plastic tarp. I spent about 60$ for it. of course it's not cool as the original hobie branded cover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Hobie TI cover....It doesn't fully cover the amas when they're rigged up. It does cover everything if you take the amas off, lay them on the hull with the mast. If you had the HD cart inverted in the rear scuppers, the holds the amas nicely.

Note of caution....one year of use and the black straps the allow you to tie the cover down around the TI have completely degraded to the point they disintegrate on touch. Admittedly this is after a Dubai summer so some extremes of temperature. Unfortunately I cannot store inside but there is a reasonable amount of shade, so this degradation comes from about 4 hours of direct sunlight a day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

my tandem hobie cover has disintegrated after 2 years in the sun. I patch, but tears happen all over. Can't trailer with cover on.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I second the sentiment that the original Hobie covers don't last. Not only has the cover disintegrated in my case, the sail/mast cover is also falling apart. All this in less than three years. I have purchased a custom-made 19'x8' rectangular heavy-duty cover which is lasting a lot longer.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Made a custom cover with a harbor freight tarp, grommet kit and some bungee cord. Not wasting my money on hobie covers!