Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i'm hoping to purchase a TI by next spring at the latest, and live pretty much in the middle of nowhere in the desert so have limited opportunities for checking one out. i will however be in santa barbara on oct 17th-18th 2013, and wondered if there might be any local TI owners who might be up for taking me for a spin, or at least checking out their boat in person/talking about their experience. happy to cover gas if you'd be coming from a bit away or take you out for coffee/drinks/lunch.

i've done a lot of reading about these wherever i can find information/people sharing their experiences, and it's pretty clear that the likelihood of regretting a purchase would be small, but i'd still like to have a little experience with one prior to making the commitment of funds. if you'd like to contact me directly, you can do so via my email address: com (at) goike (dot ) com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

timing didn't work out for a demo in sb unfortunately, but mountain air sports had one in stock, and they're a half-block form the beach. couldn't resist.

joey was knowledgeable and incredibly helpful, and most importantly enjoys what he does and it shows. after a half-day spin in zero to very light light wind, i drove 5 hours home last night with it on a new roof rack on a prius v, no problems.

by the way, santa barbara is a wonderful place to be mid-week in october. warm air and water temps, and not too many people.

highly recommend mountain air sports. they have great service, a good stock of hobie boats and also a ton of other nicely-selected product lines.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on you new Island! You'll love it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto. The AI up there is going to mess with your 50 MPG rating. :lol:

Must be easy to get up and down though. What are you using for racks/loading?

Sadly, many new cars come with glass roof sections that preclude the use of roof racks. The Venza is one I had to rule out, cuz they only had the luxury glass tops in stock.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks guys.

i only get a measly 42-44 mpg normally (it's the bigger prius). 35 with the boat on top (that was heading up the mountains). it is nice that it's so low for loading. rackability was a major factor in getting this boat, when i travel i hate having a trailer, and since i live in the desert i'll be traveling regularly to use the boat. (although i can sail on los angeles' water supply about a half hour away too, and a decent sized mudpuddle within sight of my home)

i have a rhino t-loader in back, two thule aero bars, and hopefully this week for the bow a homemade cradle that bolts to the recovery points in the frame, accessed through front fascia ports. also, my hobie cradles should be showing up, very aware of possible hull deformation from incorrect loading, don't want that!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did not realize the small hybrids had any towing options. Where did you find the hitch?

For those who are looking for other loading options, these are now available and affordable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHcoitYQuw[/youtube]

And the Rhino side-loader, which is compatible with Thule aerobars and such,..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NE_lWaCSDQ[/youtube]

So easy, even a small, scantily clad woman can use it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

that roller looks nice, i had considered making something similar but wanted to also transfer some load to the car frame at both the bow and the stern.

i'm using an off-the-shelf curtis hitch made for the car, they're pretty cheap and make them for all the prii. and now i can put a bike rack on sometimes too, out of the wind. these cars are not rated for any trailer towing however.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Tbar makes tons of sense on a short like the Pious. Send us a pict?

As far as rollers go, you can DIY. Here'a a few of my gizmos:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=31224&p=123877&hilit=loader#p123877

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=41502&hilit=suv+hell&start=0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

those seem well done.

will definitely post a pic once i get the bow support made!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Speaking of desert sailing (or at least desert carhopping…)
Here are my AI and TI in the Mojave.
Sounds as if we might be almost neighbors (whats a hundred miles, in the desert?). We should sail together sometime.

Kirk (beebrain), Riverside CA