Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SF Bay Meetup Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm planning a mid-morning launch from Berkeley. Currents look favorable for a stop for lunch at Angel Island and then returning to Berkeley. Would be great to have some company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by scc on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Darn it, was up in Yosemite....how was it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Intense for my third solo outing. 15-20 kts W with up to 3' chop. Reefed significantly most of the way. About 2h to Ayala Cove (waited for 2 tankers and a ferry in the shipping lane). Beached her on the soft sand, hit the head, ate and had a nice downwind run back to Berkeley. About 5h round trip including the stop. Will post GPS track.
The bay is unique - offshore conditions in 11' average depth!

Will definitely do it again and would welcome your company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yah the bay is definitely unique. I am over in Marin so usually launch out of sausalito or san rafael...

i may go out next sat...will ping you if i do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New Hobie TI owner. I have out of town guests this weekend and wanted to take them out this weekend. I was hoping to go around Angle Island but that might be to big an adventure if the wind is up. Will play that one as the date gets closer. I was wondering if you could give me the names of some good boat launch ramps in your areas. I checked out Berkley Marina yesterday. Looked at Marina Bay Yacht Harbor via Google satellite view, looks ok. In Sausalito I only know about Liberty Ship Marina. They have a small sand beach you can launch from, but the parking is terrible and I would have to change to sand wheels on my dolly. I would also like to meet up with some other Island owners later on. New to the etiquette of this forum, hope it is ok to ask questions like this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JimE wrote:
New Hobie TI owner. I have out of town guests this weekend and wanted to take them out this weekend. I was hoping to go around Angle Island but that might be to big an adventure if the wind is up. Will play that one as the date gets closer. I was wondering if you could give me the names of some good boat launch ramps in your areas. I checked out Berkley Marina yesterday. Looked at Marina Bay Yacht Harbor via Google satellite view, looks ok. In Sausalito I only know about Liberty Ship Marina. They have a small sand beach you can launch from, but the parking is terrible and I would have to change to sand wheels on my dolly. I would also like to meet up with some other Island owners later on. New to the etiquette of this forum, hope it is ok to ask questions like this.

Welcome!

I'm a new TI owner too. Sailed a lot in the bay but always from Berkeley. I'm planning to launch from all over the bay this summer.

Check out: http://watertrails.info/SFBayPutIns/Kay ... hp?site=79

I'm going to check out South Bay on Sunday. Probably launch from Coyote Point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

coachstevo wrote:
yah the bay is definitely unique. I am over in Marin so usually launch out of sausalito or san rafael...

i may go out next sat...will ping you if i do

Please do!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

scc wrote:
JimE wrote:

Welcome!

I'm a new TI owner too. Sailed a lot in the bay but always from Berkeley. I'm planning to launch from all over the bay this summer.

There's a launch in sausalito down by Bar BOcce (the old Margaritaville area). Parking is better than kayak beach, but still not great. There's also a launch under the GG bridge at Fort Baker, that's got great parking.
I've also launched from chrissy field-- you need a sand cart there, but its a good jumping off point with decent parking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have launched from Richmond for trip to Angel Island. Ten dollar launch fee and plenty of parking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tomduffy wrote:
I have launched from Richmond for trip to Angel Island. Ten dollar launch fee and plenty of parking.

Thanks for the information. I am not that familiar with Richmond. Are you talking about the Marina Bay Yacht Harbor , 1340 Marina Way South, Richmond, CA 94804 | Phone: 510-236-1013. By satellite it looks like a great put in for those looking for a boat ramp.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

scc wrote:
JimE wrote:

Welcome!

I have not used the Coyote point ramp, I have launched a few time at the Chesapeake Drive Boat Ramp, at 601 Chesapeake Drive in Redwood City when I took my Hobie Oasis out. Plenty of parking. There is a small charge, I think $10 but there is water for washing off the boat afterwards. Make sure you stay in the marked channel as I had run into mud on the sides. If you have any interest in wildlife Cork Screw Slough is interesting. Seals and Great blue Herons are a few of the things you will see. I would only do this at high tide and with a TI, I would start from the Redwood Creek side and only go to the regulator gate . Currents around the regulator gates can be hazardous to Kayaks. I will re-post after I have tried it with my TI.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/redwood+city+harbor/@37.5025196,-122.2145247,69m/data=!3m1!1e3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the site will be watching for "SF Bay Meetup ", I live in Martinez and have a 2012 AI look forward to meeting you all.
Pat

Last edited by PR-Mounts on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SF Bay Meetup Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Changed the thread title to "SF Bay Meetup Thread".

Post subject: Re: SF Bay Meetup Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Had a nice sail on Sunday from Oyster Pt. Marina just north of SFO down to Coyote Pt. Marina and back. Just shy of 12 NM, we were beating both ways in 10-15 kts. Tied up at the Coyote Pt. Marina for lunch. Both marinas have public ramps and restrooms, but if you launch from Oyster Pt. Marina, beware that there is also a private ramp that we were asked not to use after fully rigging. (There were no signs!)

I posted a short video taken from a GoPro on a stern mounted Railblaza Telepole:

http://youtu.be/XkZeScPdSpY

Post subject: Sailing to Angel Island
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm planning a mid-morning launch from Fort Baker on Monday, May 26. Planning on sailing to Angel Island, with a stop for lunch. Would be great to have some company. So far I have two HI going. Low tide is at 11:30. This will be my first launch from Fort Baker. There is a sign stating that you can not launch at low tide as the bottom end of the ramp is missing. I hope this will not hurt launching an Island from it. Right next to the ramp is a small pebble beach I think I could also launch from.

Sunday I will be going down to Moss Landing for some whale watching. Sorry for the late notice. Will give out more details if you want to meetup.

Last edited by JimE on Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.