Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SF Bay Meetup Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have tomorrow 28 September off. Planning to go out on the north SF Bay (Berkeley to Angel Island) or Carquinez Straight to check out the Mothball Fleet. Anyone interested?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just seen post

Next time maybe. I'm trying to finish my haka's.

Almost there, starting on the second one today. But still need to get some spar varnish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mrgee1958 wrote:
Just seen post

Next time maybe. I'm trying to finish my haka's.

Almost there, starting on the second one today. But still need to get some spar varnish.

Ended up launching from your backyard at the Benecia Marina. First time launching there. Nice launch. Had a nice downwind run to the fleet in 10-15 kt winds. Was a long beat back. Winds variable. Light at first, dying by the bridge then 20-25 from the bridge to Benecia in 3-4 ft chop. It seemed like I was fully submerged a few times. Had to reef about three turns to get rudder control and bear away to avoid so much water over the bow.. Took about two hours on the return to cover 3 NM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie Cat folks are having a race called the Shark Feed next weekend on Bodega Bay. They will be launching from Doran beach. We have an open invitation come share the beach.

I will be there next Sunday, the thirteenth. I plan on racing to red and white buoy at the entrance of Tomales bay (marked on charts as buoy "Tb") and back. As the crow flies it is a ten mile trip total for going out and back. Of course conditions will dictate how long the round trip takes.

All I need is one more boat, or at worst I can race against the clock. I propose Le Mans style start (Boats on beach pointed into the bay. Racer are X distance away. Start the race, run to boats and go, go, go) vs a sailing style start with a five minute count down to an on the water start. These are adventure racing machines!! Not simple sailboats.

I see three Classes AI single, TI single, TI double. Use any or all three of the drive options: Sail, pedal, paddle. Bring along the common sense gear. Lets be safe, fun, and fast. in that order. Please RSVP and share the word.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a north bay TI owner. I trailer my boat. Posting will spit back relpies That bust back sounded exhaustng. I did a quick turn on lake sonoma when the winds had been blowing all day at 15+. Wave heights were 3+. First time i surfed waves and first time i took a wave that drenched me in the rear seat. I was exhaused fighting the waves on each reach and could find wind shelter under the bridge. I dont know what id be like if i HAD to do what scc did for 2 hours. You wear a dry suit to keep your core temp?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Clintvava wrote:
I dont know what id be like if i HAD to do what scc did for 2 hours. You wear a dry suit to keep your core temp?

I was tired to be sure. I wear a Kokatat goretex paddling suit which I love. It breathes well and keeps me dry - just have to choose layers wisely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sharrissmith wrote:
The Hobie Cat folks are having a race called the Shark Feed next weekend on Bodega Bay. They will be launching from Doran beach. We have an open invitation come share the beach.

I will be there next Sunday, the thirteenth. I plan on racing to red and white buoy at the entrance of Tomales bay (marked on charts as buoy "Tb") and back. As the crow flies it is a ten mile trip total for going out and back. Of course conditions will dictate how long the round trip takes.

All I need is one more boat, or at worst I can race against the clock. I propose Le Mans style start (Boats on beach pointed into the bay. Racer are X distance away. Start the race, run to boats and go, go, go) vs a sailing style start with a five minute count down to an on the water start. These are adventure racing machines!! Not simple sailboats.

I see three Classes AI single, TI single, TI double. Use any or all three of the drive options: Sail, pedal, paddle. Bring along the common sense gear. Lets be safe, fun, and fast. in that order. Please RSVP and share the word.

Meeting tomorrow at Doran Beach at Bodega Bay for race start of around 2pm. Come play!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck with your event Sharris!

A few of us are contemplating an event next year, and are somewhat loathe to include competitive racing at a major event, as the only way we could avoid the majority of competitors being blown away by a hard-core cyclist (with some sailing skills) who is fit enough to seriously push those Miragedrive pedals throughout the race, adding to average speed. Alternatively, use of Miragedrives could be banned, but this is just crippling a major part of the versatility of Islands.

To avoid this dilemma, we are considering more of a fun event, with possible categories such as biggest fish caught, most modifications(!), greatest age difference between Tandem Island crews, oldest competitor, youngest competitor, best outfit, etc etc, plus random "door" prizes.

We would love to hear views from everybody as to possible formats for Island gatherings which would be inclusive and family friendly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SCC
I launch out of Martinez and sail bridge to bridge, maybe we can meet up some time.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Mike,

That'd be great. Will post any possible outings here. Thanks.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like the idea of events in our area tony. I'm starting to launch out of benicia.
It's close and safe.

I'm setting up my ti so I can launch in benicia, motor down to San Pablo bay or S.F.bay and sail back. And I'm going to see how long it takes to motor over to Sacileto. Next summer I plan an all day trip around the bay. Starting in benicia motoring down to Marin, then sail or motor over to Sacileto, sail across the golden gate to San Francisco, then sail over by Berkeley and then back home. It's a 70 mile trip.

I also need to find out how many ai and ti can be towed down into the bay and how long it would take. If we had 3 ai and ti with motors like 2.5hp could that tow 3 kayaks each then there's 12 kayaks sailing back.

I think that would be fun

Soory if there spelling errors I have nld.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mrgee1958 wrote:
I'm setting up my ti so I can launch in benicia, motor down to San Pablo bay or S.F.bay and sail back. And I'm going to see how long it takes to motor over to Sacileto. Next summer I plan an all day trip around the bay. Starting in benicia motoring down to Marin, then sail or motor over to Sacileto, sail across the golden gate to San Francisco, then sail over by Berkeley and then back home. It's a 70 mile trip.

I love your enthusiasm. You'll be very tired after that journey...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Good luck with your event Sharris!

A few of us are contemplating an event next year, and are somewhat loathe to include competitive racing at a major event, as the only way we could avoid the majority of competitors being blown away by a hard-core cyclist (with some sailing skills) who is fit enough to seriously push those Miragedrive pedals throughout the race, adding to average speed. Alternatively, use of Miragedrives could be banned, but this is just crippling a major part of the versatility of Islands.

To avoid this dilemma, we are considering more of a fun event, with possible categories such as biggest fish caught, most modifications(!), greatest age difference between Tandem Island crews, oldest competitor, youngest competitor, best outfit, etc etc, plus random "door" prizes.

We would love to hear views from everybody as to possible formats for Island gatherings which would be inclusive and family friendly.

Tony,

We recently Held a "Summer Sailstice" event here in the bay area. Great event we had 8 boats and 12 people. We as a group sailed together to our destination and had a great time. Landed at Ayala Cove and had lunch together. A very family friendly events and I plan on organizing more. So now I would like to organize a race. I don't see you talking the EC Race to Alaska into having a family friendly portion of their events. I am working hard as a volunteer in these efforts and I am sorry you are so opposed to the idea of having a race only event? So please don't knock my idea or water it down because it does not have a family friendly element. BTW I am the cyclist/sailor you were worried about so I wont add you to the invite list for our first race. But I would love to attend your family friendly so let me know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Planning to launch from Pier 52 (just south of McCovey Cove) tomorrow morning. Would like to check out Aquatic Park and the Giant's game which starts at 1300. Anyone interested?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

scc wrote:
Planning to launch from Pier 52 (just south of McCovey Cove) tomorrow morning. Would like to check out Aquatic Park and the Giant's game which starts at 1300. Anyone interested?

That sounds great. I will know better later but hope I can make it. Be aware that the parking can fill up there pretty early. I came down from San Rafael and had to drive home without getting the TI wet. I would plan on coming down from Loch Lomond in San Rafael.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next