Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 Texas 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are there any fellow Islanders looking to do the Texas 200 this year? I've been wanting to do it since learning about it last year and am seriously considering signing up. I thought it would be cool to get a group of Islands together for the event.

For those who don't know about the event, the Texas 200 is a 200ish mile, group sail up the Texas coast from Port Isabel to Magnolia Beach which is up by Port O'Connor.

Here is a little description taken from their website, "The Texas 200 is a “Raid”-type event; that is, it involves a scheduled gathering of small boats traveling more or less in company from Point A to Point B over a period of several days, camping along the way. The Texas 200 goes through the Laguna Madre and the bays of South Texas for five to six days and about 200 miles."

It looks like it's going to run 6 days this year from June 13th until June 18th. Here is the planned route - http://www.texas200.com/Route.html

Check out their website for more information about the event - http://www.texas200.com/index.html

They also have a Facebook group, "Texas 200 Sailing Club", which seems to be the main source of communication about the event.

Last edited by chadbach on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2016 Texas 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Count me in Chad. I am putting together a list of islanders in and around the Houston area that want to be contacted when group sails take place, with both inshore and offshore opportunities.

Since there is usually someone or group going out most weekends, we may not want flood the Hobie forum with weekly outings. I was thinking of sending text messages or emails to update those interested. Text messages would probably be easiest. Notice can be short sometimes due to weather change and texts get the info out quicker.

Anyone wishing to be put on this list, please send me a private message on this forum. I will see to it that you get text notifications when people are putting together a group sail or fishing in the area.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Vetgam, awesome, I'd like to be on the list about group sails. I'll send you a PM. Being in San Antonio, It's a bit of a drive for me, but I'd definitely like to get out that way every now and then.

For the 200, it looks like most people start out at the White Sands Motel and Marina. I'm thinking I'll reserve a room there for that starting weekend, unless anyone knows of a better place. They also have boat slips available. I'll reserve one as well, in which I'm guessing we could squeeze 2 or 3 Islands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That sounds good Chad. I'll reserve a room tomorrow. I'd love to share the boat slip with you. We can split the cost.

I don't have any camping gear so I will have to get in gear and purchase what I need. Have you seen any lists of suggested provisions that most carry on board? I'll check out the website closer tomorrow.

I understand these trips can be grueling. Looking forward to the challenge. I would think the winds will be to our backs most of the trip. May need that Hobie reacher!

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds good Greg. I'll reserve a room and slip tomorrow as well.

Here is a link to an old Texas 200 forum. It doesn't look like it gets anymore traffic but there's a lot of good info here http://www.texas200.com/phpBB3/index.php

Here's a pretty good thread about basic gear http://www.texas200.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=745

I also have a gear list on google drive that I've been working on. I'll share and post it up the next time I'm on a real computer.

From what I've read it does seem like the trip can be grueling but it should be a fun, challenging adventure! The reacher will definitely be a great addition! It sounds like the usual is light winds in the morning, stronger in the afternoon, mainly a run to beam reach with a bit of close reaching.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Vetgam, I sent you a PM.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For some reason I am having my personal messages put on hold due to a "full folder". I could not read the last two from Chad and one from jfrancess99. Could you guys send me personal emails at [email protected]

Thanks, anyone know how to expand my folder capacity or delete it's contents?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayak nomad, I see that you sent me a private message too. Would you please email that to... [email protected]

Thanks

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, I was able to individually delete some old messages to make room for the new.

We now have 7 people on call for the Houston area sailing group! Again, I will probably both text and email all of you when an outing is being planed. If everyone PMS or emails me that they are willing to share contact info among the group I can put a contact list together for everyone.

We are always looking for more, anyone?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Vetgam! You may remember me from a trip out of Packery Channel a couple years ago. I sold the single AI and bought a new TI this past spring. We took it on many trips to Lake Travis and Ladybird Lake here in Austin, but only one trip down the to coast last year. We sailed from Rockport to Talley Island / Turtle Bayou and back. We tried to make it to Mud Island but the winds above 20 knots and chop convinced us to alter our course.

I'm interested in the Texas 200 but I don't have the vacation days to spend an entire week on a pursuit the rest of the family doesn't particularly enjoy.

However, I'd be very much interested in one or two night trips. I might even be able to talk one of my kids into going along.

For example, one route I've been planning involves getting dropped off at Bird Island Basin while my accomplice drives to Rockport and waits for me there while sipping margaritas. Meanwhile I am sailing behind Mustang Island, past the Lydia Ann Lighthouse, camping on Quarantine Shore, and hopefully getting in a bit of fishing.

I'll send you my info. A private email list or even a Facebook group would be fine for organization, but I also suggest posting some sort of notice or trip report here on the Hobie site as well. There's not a whole lot of traffic in the camping trips or social event forums so I don't think it will get lost in the shuffle. Also, any routes, charts, photos, or trip reports that get posted here on the forum are much more accessible to others and could serve to attract other like-minded people. My problem with the Texas200 Facebook page which has made their forum obsolete is that it is nearly impossible to go back in history and browse the general discussion on Facebook. There is a search available, but I find that less helpful than viewing topics on a forum.

-Chris

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AIChris wrote:
SNIP My problem with the Texas200 Facebook page which has made their forum obsolete is that it is nearly impossible to go back in history and browse the general discussion on Facebook. There is a search available, but I find that less helpful than viewing topics on a forum.

-Chris

I find it best to think of Facebook as a toilet roll....you can't find old sheet :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris this is great! I absolutely remember you. We actually sailed out of Freeport I think in a Hobie event about 3 years back. I was planning on contacting you if you didn't chime in. I will add you to the growing list. I'm game or a camping sail now and then too. It will serve as a dry run for the Texas 200.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
I find it best to think of Facebook as a toilet roll....you can't find old sheet :D :D

Haha, nice!

Thought I'd update this for us "I'll do it, if you do it" people (I'm one of them!)... So far there's 3 of us signed up for the event, so if you're thinking about doing it, now is a good time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For those islanders scheduled for the Texas 200, I will be bringing along a 12v boat battery and a power inverter that should allow all of us to recharge anything that uses a AC plug or USB cord (VHF radios,phones). All you need to bring is your recharging power cords if you want.

I am signed up although Matt has not updated my name on the "Who's Coming" page yet. I have not heard anything back about the boat slip capacity. I can't imagine that we would have trouble fitting three islands to a slip with the amas off.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The battery will be very helpful, thanks for that. I'm also planning on buying a small solar panel and have a small lithium power bank that I was planning on charging with the panel throughout the day, while the power bank changed my batteries/devices at night. If necessary, we could also use my panel to keep a charge on your boat battery throughout the day.

I'm having a hard time getting any boat slip information from the hotel/marina. One lady told me they are roughly 18' x 11' and said it shouldn't be a problem to share. Another guy told me management might charge us for the extra boats. He was going to have management call me back, which they have not. I also emailed them asking for the information but have not heard a response. I'll keep trying to bug them... Not sure what else to do at this point.