Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I have a Tandem Island and am sailing out of Lake Waccamaw Sailing Club near Wilmington,NC. I am looking for other TI or AI sailors in Eastern NC or SC, area with the idea of possibly forming a meet-up group, or just sailing together a few times per season. I have trailer & can transport.

Thanks!
LakeWacSailors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are 6 to 7 TI's in our local sailing club now, but we're further west, towards the Piedmont Triad region. We do get down to Jordan a few times per year, however. Mid state.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you referring to Jordan Lake near Chapel Hill?

Does you club have a website or FB page? Maybe I could get on your email list & get notified when you are heading there again?
My club has a few Hobie cats but no Islands & most people think it pretty different, and maybe not even a "real" boat.
It would be great to hang out with some other "Islanders" I think I would learn a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes but it's not a Hobie Island club - it's a regular sailing club. Enough of the members have seen my AI and TI and ridded on them that they ended up buying one as a second or family boat.

Yes, Jordan near Raleigh. BIG lake. No development. And after Labor Day the watersport crowd is gone. Fantastic Place to sail, pack a lunch for an island stop, etc.

It's somewhat hard to buy an Island in North Carolina. John Britt at Nor'Banks can get them but the town of Duck is about as far away as you can get in North Carolina, although he has been known to deliver them for a small fee in his off season. So lack of availability has kept many from buying one here. Our club members all went out of state to get theirs and the numbers keep growing. For several years there were only a couple or three in this, the Nation's 10th largest state. But new owners are popping up all the time. Keep an eye out in your area and use the Hobie Island Club Facebook page for requests like this one.

We may get a day trip up for October. I will post back here if we do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Time permitting I would be interested if you come up the eastern shore way. I live near Norfolk VA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just checking to see if Central/Eastern NC & SC sailors are OK after Hurricane Florence. I communicated a few weeks back with a guy from High Point...is your club OK? You mentioned a trip in October...any word is that still on?

Lot of flooding around Lake Waccamaw, but preparation seemed to keep all boats safe (including mine) Club grounds were flooded but seem OK after water receded.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am reaching out to some of the members to see if we can find a Saturday or Sunday that works for most. I think out of our 60+ club members, 7 of them now own Tandem Islands. The trouble is always picking a date that even half of those are available for. At any rate, I plan to take a trip on Jordan within the next 3 weeks, regardless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you ever get the Jordan Lake trip scheduled?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nobody seems to be able to commit and wind has been lousy, but I plan to go either this coming weekend or next weekend. At least two others said they are going to try and make it. I can tell you for sure by about Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail at Jordan frequently with my TI. Let me know when you guys go & I'll swing by.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the post. I have a family obligation this coming weekend, but could likely make it the following weekend

Lakewacsailors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on where the hurricane coming up through the Florida panhandle winds up, this weekend at Jordan might be decent. 7 to 12 MPH winds so nothing white knuckle but a nice breeze for cruising. I have 3 other boats already lined up and we might get a couple more. Again, tentative, but we can firm things up as we get closer to Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FYI:

Jordan lake's launch ramps have been closed since Florence and have just started opening up again.

Ebenezer:
Boat ramp – Friday, October 5
Day-use area – Monday, October 8

New Hope:
Boat ramp and day-use area – Monday, October 8

Parkers Creek:
Day-use area – Monday, October 15 (Tentatively)

Robeson Creek:
Canoe access – Friday, October 5
Boat ramp – Friday, October 5

Seaforth:
Boat ramp and day-use area – Saturday, October 6

Vista Point:
Boat ramp and day-use area – Monday, October 15 (Tentatively)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vista Point is our preferred launch area so if it is close that will put this weekend out of the running. I'll double check it in a couple days after this latest storm goes through and see how things look.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vista Point has re-opened. I plan to sail on Jordan tomorrow (11-4) in the old AI. Nobody else could make it (wives, kids, football games, etc., etc. - they plan to sail once they're retired and have nothing to do...)

Will be at Vista Point about 11AM and plan to sail through mid afternoon.