Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just bought an tandem island used. maybe a dumb question but I,m curious to know if anybody modified a tandem island with a larger stern. The weight of the 2.5 Suzuky 2.5 outboard and a narrow stern once I accelerate the stern is going down. That's creates another problem also: way to much water coming over the rudder lines holes also and into the hull....
thank you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the boat was not designed for use with a motor Hobie saw no need for a larger or higher volume stern.

The only thing I can think you could do to increase volume there would be to fashion some dry cell foam onto and around the stern and then shape it to minimize drag. I suspect the results would be mixed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you mount the outboard such that it is “trimmed in” a bit? That is, mount the outboard such that the prop is angled forward versus the mount and thrust is angled slightly below horizontal? This will counteract some of the torque force trying to raise the bow and drop the stern. Smaller lightweight boats are often rigged this way to keep the stern up and bow down.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
Can you mount the outboard such that it is “trimmed in” a bit? That is, mount the outboard such that the prop is angled forward versus the mount and thrust is angled slightly below horizontal? This will counteract some of the torque force trying to raise the bow and drop the stern. Smaller lightweight boats are often rigged this way to keep the stern up and bow down.

Peter

thank you didn't know about that is , is my first outboard will give it a try . I have to modify the engine mount is too close to me just behind the rear seat and is too noisy for my left ear. so probably I'll ask the welder for an angle of the motor mount. But just to be sure I understand well ( I speak french in Canada) looking at the kayak from one side the shaft of the engine should look like this / ?
thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, you can trim the motor slightly in the / direction as you say. The Suzuki DF2.5 has a 4-position trim adjustment built into the mount so there should be no need for you to install an angled mounting bracket. Look in your owner’s manual (or download one) for the section on “Trim Angle Adjustment”.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have seen 2 mods to the hull that provided more surface and made the stern sit up and plane a bit. Both looked like a good amount of work but were pretty cool. One was a top contender in the Everglades race IIRC while the other was owned by a fellow who ran two Honda 2.3s on it. Check out The Ultimate Tandem Island thread here on the forum.

bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Motoring hull speed for the TI is 5.4 knots.

If you force a faster speed, it will drive the stern down until the rudder line openings leak, regardless of motor trim, unless the trim angle is so extreme that it kills the efficiency of the prop.

Motoring at the correct speed also solves the noise problem, because the motor will rarely be more than 1/3 throttle unless into a major headwind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just constructed a hydrofoil for mine. The additional lift really helps with squatting, highly recommend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mcoop57 wrote:
I just constructed a hydrofoil for mine. The additional lift really helps with squatting, highly recommend.

Pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, worst forum in the workd for me to post pictures on. I will make a video for my YT channel, mcoop571.