Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a 69 year old fella who peddles 3 or 4 miles out into Lake Erie to catch walleyes. Sometimes it's a rough return to shore. Therefore I have purchased a Torqueedo 1103 ac and all the accessories to mount it to a HOBIE COMPASS which are gathering dust in my basement. I have been attempting to purchase a Hobie Mirage Compass power pole mount kit for a year which is needed to complete the install. Nobody appears to have one or can get one. I have contacted reps from Hobie and Torqueedo to no avail. Delaware Paddle Sports and Backyard Boats both suggested you sharp lads and lasses. Perhaps some good citizen that has one could provide the dimensions of the MIA component so that I might be able to have one fabricated. Please, I'm begging and thanks in advance. Harvey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lakeswimmer wrote:
I am a 69 year old fella who peddles 3 or 4 miles out into Lake Erie to catch walleyes. Sometimes it's a rough return to shore. Therefore I have purchased a Torqueedo 1103 ac and all the accessories to mount it to a HOBIE COMPASS which are gathering dust in my basement. I have been attempting to purchase a Hobie Mirage Compass power pole mount kit for a year which is needed to complete the install. Nobody appears to have one or can get one. I have contacted reps from Hobie and Torqueedo to no avail. Delaware Paddle Sports and Backyard Boats both suggested you sharp lads and lasses. Perhaps some good citizen that has one could provide the dimensions of the MIA component so that I might be able to have one fabricated. Please, I'm begging and thanks in advance. Harvey

Harvey, I don't know much about the Hobie compass or the power pole mount but it looks like there are 2 mounting bolts that can be used for the power pole mount on a Compass. I looked at a few pictures but couldn't determine if one can get their hands inside the hull by the stern to supplement those bolts with a few more for strength. Two bolts probably wouldn't be enough.

If you can get your hands inside the stern area and add a couple more bolts then you should attempt to use the excellent aluminum mount that comes with the 1103AC. Might not be that difficult. I mounted a Torqeedo 1103AC to my TI and absolutely love it. The aluminum tilt mount it comes with is very versatile. It will make your time on the water much more enjoyable and you will have peace of mind when the weather turns nasty and you need to get back quickly.

I love the Torqeedo 1103AC on my TI

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a picture of a similar kayak with the 1103AC mounting bracket. Looks like that round black item in the back of the compass may be a rudder access. Probably can take that off to add some solid mounting bolts in that area.