Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't get my peddles out of the click-and-go mechanism.

I'm not really familiar with all the part names and terminology so please excuse my ignorance

I had the mirage in for several hrs working fine (well I assumed everything was fine, as I had been fishing all morning) then somehow the peddles tilted and the right side became loose from the click-and-go, while the left side stayed locked in.
The right plastic guide has also been dislodged somehow

I hadn't hit anything so not sure how it happened. I put the tandem on trolley and took it back to my camp-site but the finds were dragging on the ground the whole way.

Anyway, it appears that oneside of the click-and-go is unlocked and released, but the other side is locked. The locked side won't let me "flick" it open to release the peddles. Can anyone help on how I release it?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your images are not showing so it's hard to visualize the problem. It sounds like the mechanism may be jammed and/or wedged. I would first try to push the released side back into place and then try to release the jammed side. Use WD40 or some other lubricant. If necessary, carefully try to use some gentle leverage on the release mechanism such as with a long screwdriver. Failing this, you may need to disassemble the catch on one or both sides.

The safest thing to do is to bring it to your Hobie dealer and let them have a look. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once you have the drive out, make sure the drums are all the way in and the spine is centered on the drum shaft. On some drive models the drums tend to walk out over time and you end up with one or both drums contacting and hindering the click-and-go mechanism, or the drum shaft is not equally exposed on both sides causing one end to bind and the other to pop out inadvertently. You can tap the parts back where they are supposed to be.

Use this diagram to identify parts: https://slhobie.com.au/shop/kayak-parts/miragedrive-parts/hobie-miragedrive-gt-kick-up/

Don't know which drive model you have but the key parts are named the same across models.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What you describe sounds like a classic bent fin mast. Note you do not need to hit anything to bend the mast. Just pulling the kayak up on a beach with the fins in can bend the mast.

Recommend:
- turn the kayak on its side. Inspect the fins sticking out the bottom. Take pictures and post here. If you have a bent fin mast, try to bend it back so you can release the drive. Inspect everything. Inspect the click and go mounts. The springs in the click and go mounts can rust out if not maintained. See post on this forum on how to fix. Good luck.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold